MacBook Pro won't reboot - tried Safeboot and received msg. indicating kernel panic

Reaction score
I have a 13" MacBook Pro 2011. A few days ago I was trying to open TextEdit to type some notes & noticed my Mac was working much slower than usual. I figured this was due to having several programs open as well as a couple minimized browser windows. While trying to close out of some of these programs, my computer froze and I was forced to shut down by holding down the power button. A little later, I powered up my Mac and was unable to get past the white screen with the grey apple, spinning gear, and the loading bar beneath it that remained empty. I have already attempted a PRAM reset a couple of times, with no result. I have also made several tries at a Safe Boot. The first time I tried safe boot by holding down shift key, a window popped up instructing me to shut down my computer & restart normally. I did this and the only noticeable change was that the loading bar at the bottom of the screen filled up approx. 25% of the way before it ceased to load any further. I waited an hour just in case, but it remained unchanged. The second & third time I tried to reboot to safe mode, the result was a grey screen indicating a kernel panic, inability to boot system and the following text across the screen indicating a fault in the driver-
Panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800064ba7b):"unable to find driver for this platform:\"ACPI".\n"@/sourceCache/xnu/xnu-1699.26.8/iokit/kernel/IOPlatformEXpert.cpp:15 04. I have read on several blogs that people are receiving these kernel panics as the result of a thunderbolt update, however I have not installed any updates in months, and never installed a thunderbolt update to my knowledge, so whatever's going on with my Mac isn't likely due to any updates. Also, I have been looking for recovery CDs for my Mac, and have been unable to find any. I actually don't remember ever seeing any CDs in the box with my computer and I bought it new @ Best Buy. I am still trying to find the black folder that came in the box with my Mac, that contains manual, etc., assuming they may be in there. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to repair my computer (hopefully without losing my data). I'm also curious to learn what may have caused this issue so that I might avoid a repeat of this situation in the future. Thank you

Reaction score
Re: MacBook Pro won't reboot - tried Safeboot and received msg. indicating kernel pan

There are no longer any recovery DVDs.

Boot with the r key down, then you may be able to do an "Install in Place."

You'll need to be online and with a valid AppleID and Password.

This is the wrong point in the process to be worrying about backups, they need to be done when everything is working.

Reaction score
Re: MacBook Pro won't reboot - tried Safeboot and received msg. indicating kernel pan

Hi,

If you follow Kavemans advice, you should find that Lion or ML only install there system files therefore your apps,data etc should be fine.

Ask a Question