MacBook Pro 2013 won’t boot

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This morning my MacBook Pro 13” 2013 wouldn’t boot. I left it on in sleep mode last night as I usually do and this morning it was off.
Upon booting it made three slow and three faster beeps. I tried switching the ram slots as well as unplugging and replugging the battery, which have worked in the past but not this time.
After two attempts it did one long beep instead of the multiple beeps
Currently when I press the power button, the fan turns on (at normal speed) and the front led turns on (at a constant brightness) but there is no startup tone and the display doesn’t turn on. I’ve tried using the keyboard to increase display brightness, no effect. If I close the lid the fan stays on, so it’s not just a display issue. I’ve left it like this for over an hour with no change.
Oddly, when I turn it off, simply inserting the MagSafe connector into the laptop is enough to initiate boot, without even pressing the power button.

I’ve tried booting with Shift, Cmd S, Cmd V Shift, Cmd R, Cmd Alt P R, and SMC reset connecting power with shift ctrl alt.
Ive tried switching the Ram sticks, or booting with just one stick, and I’ve tried both sticks, alone in each port individually.
I also tried unplugging the battery and power cord and holding power button for 10 seconds

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You have done a great job of troubleshooting/diagnosing the problem. The three beeps are a failing RAM/RAM slot issue and the long beep is usually a logic board issue or no RAM is seen at all.

Honestly, it sounds like a logic board issue. Maybe there was a power surge the night before?

Not sure what else to suggest, since you did all the normal steps. Will think about it a bit and get back to you.

C

Ask a Question