Macbook Pro hibernates unnecessarily

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Macbook Pro. It runs fine except starting about a year ago it does something really strange. After it has been in sleep mode (either with the lid up or down), if I wake it up while it's plugged in it works fine. But if I wake it up while it's unplugged, it will work normally for about 45 seconds and then go into hibernate mode. Thos only happens if the system is woken up while unplugged. If I wake it up while it's plugged in and immediately unplug it, it works fine.

After going into hibernate mode, if I try to wake the computer back up by touching a key or the touchpad nothing happens. If I hold down the power butting, eventually the low battery warning icon will come on the screen. If I then plug it in and hold the power button down again, it will wake up and do what seems like a partial reboot and then work normally.

So it seems like the system is detecting that the battery is low, but there is plenty of charge. This problem happens at all battery charge levels.

I tried resetting my SMC and that didn't work.

Thoughts?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

What does it say in  > About This Mac > System Report... > Power > Battery Information for the following:
-Full charge capacity
-Cycle Count
-Condition

It sounds like the battery may be getting towards the end of its useable life.

C

Reaction score
It says Service Recommended but I need to point point out that the computer still has decent battery life when running off power cord and also that this problem occurs even if the battery is at 100%. It entirely has to do with when I open the computer when the cord is unplugged. Then it works for 45 seconds then shits down. If I open the computer with the cord plugged in and then immediately unplug the cord, the computer operates fine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 17.49.41.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 17.49.41.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 60

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

When it reports Service Recommended, that is a sign that its useful life has been used up, and is probably the cause of the issue you are having. In addition, Apple states that their batteries are good for up to 1,000 cycles depending on use. Yours is very close, and I would recommend that you have it replaced. I would be willing to bet that it would fix the issue.

C

Ask a Question