SOLVED Catalina - Hooking up MacBook Pro to (home) AVR (audio-Video)

Reaction score
Hello again you guys! Not long ago I installed OS Catalina on my MacBook Pro. I think something has changed from Mojave...

I have used this set-up a thousand time with Mojave and had no hick-ups.

What I am trying to do is:
1. Use my MacBook Pro as a controller
2. Hook it up to my AVReciever via HDMI to the MBP....
3. Play iTunes and video/photos through the AVR and our 55in TCL Roku TV (for a larger group presentation.

Hooked all of this up for the first time since I loaded Catalina.... and it was working fine UNTIL I started messing around with the video settings.... Now, I can hear iTunes through my speakers BUT I am not getting and Video.

I have supplied some jpegs below for you to see what I am noticing on my end.

Some of my questions are if pertinet...
1. What is AirPlay?
2. What is Mirroring Options?

Let me know!
Reesche

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
Reaction score
So your saying AirPlay has to be turned on? Where do you get the AirPlay code? Is this software or do you have to subscribe and pay for it? #8

#6 What are these adjustments for?

#5 Mirroring.... do I have to do anything with this?

Thank you!
Reesche

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok.... I had a few minutes to try this out and YES the AirPlay worked. However, I lost control of my AVR reciever. The iTunes do not play through the Reciever and my 2 satelight speakers and sub woofer. Hook up: MacBook Pro.......HDMI to AVR (AUX)...... TCL Roku TV... HDMI 1
Any thoughts on this?

Reesche

Reaction score
Observations: If I run only the TCL Roku TV...I do not need a HDMI cable to connect it must be through the WI Fi.

Is there any other way to hook the laptop into my AVR via HDMI and the TV so I can not use WiFi?

I think the "static" I am hearing from iTunes is from the WiFi transmission. Note: I do have an WiFi Extender near my living room too.

Reesche

Reaction score
Hi,

Is there any other way to hook the laptop into my AVR via HDMI and the TV so I can not use WiFi?

Using an HDMI cable connect one end to the HDMI monitor out on the back of the AVR and the other is connected to the HDMI INPUT on the HDTV.

Ask a Question