SOLVED Trying to install Catalina from Mojave...... How do you do it?

Reaction score
Man, I've been all over trying to find a valid version of Catalina 10.15 to update Mojave.

Apple Store: It pulls nothing up! Search for: MacOS Catalina, Catalina...

Software Update: Only gives me Big Sur

How do I update my OS? More importantly, Why is Apple making this so hard?

MacBook Pro: 13" 2017

Thank you.
Reesche

Reaction score
Don't you have to install all the updates in order to go to the next one? Plus, I've heard nothing that good about Sur.
Is it not possible for me to update to Catalina from Mojave? I need some help.

Reesche

Reaction score
Gem thanks for your reply.

I went to the link you gave me and it ALWAYS detents to to Big Sur. Check it out.

Why is this so hard?

I just want to upgrade to the NEXT OS not the big leap.

Can you check this out and let me know if you find a solution?

Thank you Gem!

Reesche

Reaction score
The link takes me to a page with links to download many versions of MacOS from Yosemite up to Big Sur.
os.png

Reaction score
I followed your suggestion and it leads you to Apple store and when you enter MacOS Catalina it gives you other stuff. See screen shots below. Can you see if you guys can find something I can use to upgrade?

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    251.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 3.png
    3.png
    457.5 KB · Views: 60
Reaction score
I followed your suggestion and it leads you to Apple store and when you enter MacOS Catalina
That's because you've done a search for Catalina. Don't. Just click on the Catalina link in here:

and you could see this in the App Store. Notice that the Search Box is empty.

Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 20.20.07.png

Reaction score
Gem can you give me a URL to get to this link? The last time I got here it said it was NOT available. It also said it was in the "Utilities" area.
Can you test this link and see if it works or not?
Thank You.

Reesche

Reaction score
January 30th 2021

MacOS... Mojave (trying to update to Catalina)

This is were I get caught up... Everything you have offered as a solution has NOT worked.

There is no solution to get an update to MacOS 10.5 Catalina or any others from all of us out here !!! Every thing you have offered up has NOT worked.... I have bought and managed many MAC machines in my 30 to 40 yers of bying and dealing with Hardware and operating systems.

Why is Apple doing this to us after all these years?

I have to upgrade my OS in incruments before I dive into another update (which always costs ME time)...Big Sur. On line says TONS of issues now.

So, did I NOT upgrade to Catalina fast enough to make Apple happy? Or is APPLE dropping the ball with us all of us that have followed them out here, are we not playing their game fast enough??? $$$$

SO many upgrade in the last 10 years.... get the smart "Old School" supporters to just get out of their way and buy an $8000.00 TOWER that you can not upgrade any thing with???

Question:
And are you guys (Mac Help) sworn to security wtih Apple? There is no answer to my question of updating my OS here on this forum.....?

How about down dating software because of all the work it entails!

How disappointing this all is now! During Covid erra......
(I have been a MAC suporter since 1980)....Lets all take the country down shall we? Where are your profits now your guys! Just on smart phones?

SO disappointed !!!

Reesceh

Reaction score
When I upgraded to Catalina from Mojave about 3 weeks ago, I used the same link that MightyGem recommended. I have also used this link to download and install El Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra all with no problem. The solution may not work for you, but it has certainly worked for others on this forum.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I understand you frustration. Yes, Apple has changed some policies in the recent past, but nothing that much different than they have always done. They aren't making things harder for the end-user by design. The entire computer industry has simply switched to a software release model that supports the current "I want it now" mentality of the consumer. Unfortunately, that increases the instability of software, as it isn't always free of bugs and incompatibility with older software/hardware.

The link we gave should open the App Store app and navigate to the "non-searchable" page to enable you to download the Catalina installer:
Catalina.png

If that isn't happening, there may be another issue that we need to address first.

As I mentioned at the beginning of my reply, I understand your frustration. I have also been an Apple supporter since the Apple II, and have worked in the computer industry professionally since 1992. As all of us here are Apple enthusiast volunteers that donate our time for free to seek help with or assist others with their Apple-related issues, I did not appreciate your statement: "Question: And are you guys (Mac Help) sworn to security wtih Apple? There is no answer to my question of updating my OS here on this forum.....?"

We have no affiliation with Apple, receive no compensation, and get just as frustrated with some of the changes and issues as everyone else. And, we have been trying to help work through your upgrade issue.

That said, we are willing to keep working through this. But, we need to maintain decorum going forward, as this issue has nothing to do with profits or our country.

C

Reaction score
Cory sorry for the rant!

Ok..... I think I figured this out.

Browser issues...... Firefox (that I use all the time) didn't connect to Ap Store correctly.... every time I tried it.

So.... I pulled up Safari (Apple app) and Bing.... it worked! Do most Apple guys use Safari? Could be just one of these weird things with operating systems and browsers.

Anyway..... I want to thank all of you for your effort!

Sincerely,
Reesche

Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted. Yes, I use Safari as my main browser. I use Firefox just for the very occasional site that doesn't wok on Safari.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Reesche,

No worries. I appreciate your understanding...we're all good. I know how difficult times are these days for everyone, and we all need to vent sometimes. ;)

Sounds like you got it resolved - excellent!

Yes, it is normally recommended to access anything on Apple's website or any of their services with Safari. It keeps it within their ecosystem. Same with Google - access Google Drive, Docs, Meet, Gmail, etc. using Google Chrome.

I use Safari as my default, but Chrome when accessing the above service. It just seems to work the best and introduces the least amount of cross-company issues.

Stay healthy and safe,

C

Ask a Question