Catalina Issue.....

Reaction score
MacBookPro 13"

Hi you guys.... I just installed Catalina from Mojave. Couple questions...

After installing it it created a separate folder with the name "Review".... it had a lot of files I need to put back on my (1) Drive on my MacBookPro 13 Hard Drive 1.

As I try to put these folders into my Hard Drive 1 they just bounce back and are not added to the HD.

I created a new folder on the desk top with no problem. However, when I try to create a new folder on the HD... it is grayed out - Flie... New folder

How is this now treated in Catalina compared to Mojave? See attached png....

Thank you.
Reesche

Attachments

• Catalina Screen Shot.png
    Catalina Screen Shot.png
    439.3 KB · Views: 57

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, that is part of the new Catalina APFS drive format. It separates the OS and user data into separate containers on the drive, to maintain system integrity. You still see the containers as one drive, but you can only copy/move files to certain areas.

You won't be able to copy/move files to the root of the drive (where you see the Applications, Library, System, Users folders), or into the System folder itself. Also, some parts of the Library folder are protected as well. If you try, you may see a white prohibitive sign where you previously saw the green circle with + sign in it, which signified you can copy/move files to that location. You should have full access to all of the folders in your user home folder - Desktop/Documents/Downloads/Movies/Music/Pictures folders.

Here's an article from Apple about it: Role of Apple File System

Hope that helps.

C

Reaction score
Hey Cory..... So...where do I put all my files so I can actually access them with out a bunch of hassel?

Reesche

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Any of the folders in your user home folder: Macintosh HD > Users > your user:
Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Movies
Music
Pictures

You were able to make a folder on your Desktop in your screenshot, so the other folders should work as well. Is that not working?

C

Reaction score
Hello again.... Can you tell me what I need to do if I want to ad a "Color" to the "Users" folder so I can get use to seeing it were all of my work files are stored now in Catalina? It is asking for "Admin. Permissions" ... what is that all about? See attached screen shots. Thank you! Reesche

Attachments

• Permissions 1.png
    Permissions 1.png
    482.3 KB · Views: 56

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It may be because you are putting the folders in the Users "root" folder, instead of Users > richardleffler.
Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 19.10.17.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 19.10.27.png

Ask a Question