Macbook Pro goes Black on Start-up

Reaction score
Hi-

I have a Macbook Pro with Mavericks. Upon startup, I see a grey screen and then a slightly different color grey screen, and then the screen goes black. I can see and move the mouse pointer on screen, but I can't see any menus, or programs as I click.

I can boot into recovery mode, and I have verified and repaired the disk. I cannot, for whatever reason, reinstall the OS. When I try this option I get an error message that drops down and back-up before I can read it, and then another error message to try to reinstall again.

It is able to get to the Internet.
I do not know how to get more system information about this laptop in the state that it is in.

I would like to save picture off of the Macbook Pro - besides that, I would be OK with a format.

I'm not that Mac OS Savvy....

Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
A couple of important questions:

1. What exact Macbook Pro model do you have?

2. This one is critical: Have you been making backups to an external device? If (hopefully) you have, what software are you using for that?

3. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, prior to this last one you "did" with Disk Utility?

4. How are you making posts here? If it's another Mac, what exact model is it?

5. Do you happen to have the file "Install macOS Mavericks" somewhere? If not, and you are using another Mac, you should be able to download it from the App Store.

6. What third party (ie, non-Apple) programs do you have?

Reaction score
1) Macbook Pro A1286
2) No
3) Not that I remember.... This hasn't worked for awhile. As I recall, shortly before this happened, I upgraded to MAvericks
4) Dell Precsion
5) I recently moved and I'm not sure where original System disk is...
6) What third party programs do I have for the MAC platform? - None that I can think of

Years ago, you could place a second System folder on a Macintosh, "bless" that System folder (Make that the folder that would get booted) and continue to access your Documents .... that was like 20 years ago - Is there anything like that available today?

Can I make a boot DVD/USB with a PC?

I may have access to a MAC whereby I could ask someone to grab a copy of the OS for me, if that is easier.

Thanks

Ask a Question