MacBook Pro durability. Emailing PDF files.

Reaction score
I'm looking into a MacBook Pro. With the i7 processor. I have heard that you can't receive PDF files via email, play adobe movie files or view adobe based (PDF?) files on Mac computers.

1. Can you open PDF files easily through an email without any hassle? Or will I have to continually move files around to view them? Outlook and hotmail are my prefered email.

2. Can you open these on the iPad or an iPhone as well? I already have both of those.

My background is agriculture. I hope to use the iPad and or the MacBook on the tractor seat. I have spreadsheets designed in excel for keeping records of planting and harvest data that I hope to use on the MacBook but I don't know if it will be durable enough for the dusty and rough environment. It will likely fall a few times onto rubber floors.

3. Should I stick to PC or get a Mac that I can share files with from my iPhone and iPad rather easily? I have access to either a MacBook Pro or Lenovo Thinkpad t520 each at the cost of $1 for a brand new unit due to an agricultural company awarding its customers. Me :) So I guess the main question is, which is better?

4. Will the MacBook be able to sync with record keeping apps like farmlogic on my iPad and iPhone? I am hoping to use the iPad for initial data recording due to size and durability. Then i hope to enter the data into my refined spreadsheet so I can print and have easy viewing of the information I need. A problem with that for now is there are no record keeping apps for the iPad that I have found to like yet. So I will likely be stuck using the laptop in the field with me.

I really like the iPad and iPhone. I am just worried about the Mac computer.

Thanks for any feedback,
Nathan

Reaction score
1. Can you open PDF files easily through an email without any hassle? Or will I have to continually move files around to view them? Outlook and hotmail are my prefered email.
PDFs are an integral part of OS X. You can make and email them directly from the Print Panel. Preview is a very fast PDF (and other file reader) and it is pre-installed on every MacBook Pro. You can also download Acrobat Reader from Adobe, but I'm not sure why?

2. Can you open these on the iPad or an iPhone as well? I already have both of those.
Yes, you can load them into iBooks via, iTunes and Mail. And directly into other Readers as required.

So I guess the main question is, which is better?
MacBook Pro, there are also many very robust covers for both iPad and the MacBook Pro. Numbers has great iPad support!

I am just worried about the Mac computer.
Why, they are basically the same OS, iOS the mobile version of the OSX. Both Hardware are made by the same company. OS X is easier to learn than Windows 7 or 8, so you will have some learning ahead no matter what option you go.
The iPad integrates with the Mac, far far better!

Ask a Question