Macbook pro doesn't recognize new hard drive

Reaction score
I just replaced my failing hard drive with a new one. I had backed it up to an external hard drive with time machine and connected that. So I power it on holding down the option key and "choose a network" appears. OK, I put in the password...so far so good. Then a world logo with "internet recovery" and an arrow appears underneath it. I click on the arrow. Now the world is spinning and a bar showing the progress of something is under it. I wait for that to finish and a window opens:

"Mac OS X Utilities with the options of 1. Restore from time machine backup, 2. Reinstall Mac OS X, 3. Get help online and 4. Disk Utility. I chose restore from time machine backup.

Window: "Restore your system" to restore your computer using a time machine backup, click Continue and follow instructions to select a backup and the disk where you want to restore. Then it says; Important information about restoring from a backup: Restoring from a backup erases the content of the destination disk. (OK) Only use a backup to restore the computer that was the source of the backup. (OK) To transfer information from a backup to a new computer, use Migration Assistant. (Does a new hard drive constitute a new computer?) To restore individual files, use time machine in Mac OS X.

Window: Select a backup source that contains the time machine backup. (There it is, OK)

Window: Select a backup (OK)

Window: Select a destination, Select the disk where you want to restore your system. And it's searching...ever searching..but never sees my brand new hard drive!

could anyone help me? Obviously I'm a novice, and would be forever grateful for assistance!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Since it is a new hard drive, it may not be formatted, which can cause it not be seen by the installer.

1. Double-click Disk Utility in the Recovery Partition list
2. You should see your new hard drive listed in on the left (with a gray hard drive icon)
3. Click on it once to select it, then click Partition tab
4. Click on Partition Layout and select 1 Partition
5. Enter a name for the hard drive such as Macintosh HD
6. In the Format: section, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
7. Click the Options... button and select GUID Partition Map, then click OK
8. Click Apply

When it is finished, you should see an icon with the name you gave the hard drive just under what you clicked in step 3. If you see it, you can quit Disk Utility and proceed with the restore. The hard drive should now show up as a destination.

C

Ask a Question