MacBook Pro blue screen on startup!

Reaction score
Hello, I am desperate for help here.

So my MacBook was running fine till yesterday when the screen went funny, so I restarted it and when it was loading back up it got stuck on a blue screen, so I tried again to which it done the same, althogh sometimes a grey screen.
I then tried to find help from anyone who had the same problem but everyone seemed to have slight different problems, so was not specific to me.
I have managed once or twice to boot it in safe mode but now I can't even do that and it keeps going to the blue screen.
What can I do? What has caused the problem? I'm desperate for help as I use my laptop regularly.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
You need to tell us 1) what OS X are you using (latest one is Yosemite, OS 10.10.3), 2) the exact model of your MacBook, 3) what machine (model info also) are you using to post here, and 4) do you have a backup?

Reaction score
You need to tell us 1) what OS X are you using (latest one is Yosemite, OS 10.10.3), 2) the exact model of your MacBook, 3) what machine (model info also) are you using to post here, and 4) do you have a backup?
I'm
I'm not 100% what OS X I was running as I can't get on to check but I believe it was Mavericks 10.9.5
The MacBook pro was bought on 2011
I'm currently using my phone to post here but I have a Windows PC and Laptop at home
also I don't have a back up but its not an issue we losing everything, more just a nuisance, but if there is a way to back up now that'd be great.

Reaction score
Assuming the Recovery Partition got created with Mavericks (OS 10.9.x), you can first try and boot to that Recovery Partition. This link tells you how to do that, and what you can subsequently do:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Note that it says "Verify and repair connected drives using Disk Utility". That is the first thing you need to try and do for your internal drive. Make sure to first Verify and Repair the disk at the "top" level, then do a 1) Verify and Repair Disk Permissions at the partition level, and 2) Verify and Repair Disk at that same partition level.

Reboot your machine. If that works, great. Let us know and we'll help you with a disk maintenance/repair/backup strategy.

If it does not successfully reboot, note that another thing you can do with the Recovery Partition is to Install or reinstall OS X. I suspect for that you will need to have the "Install OS X Mavericks" file somewhere to be able to do such an installation/re-installation.

Ask a Question