Macbook pro 2007 - best OS

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro (Late 2007) 15-inch, running OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. What is the latest OS it is safe to install on my computer? Mavericks? Mountain Lion? Or Lion? Can I install any of these or will they ruin my computer? I have read many horror stories in reviews for each of these new operating systems, and maybe they wouldn't be safe to install for my older macbook pro.

Reaction score
I have read many horror stories
the internet is an echo chamber, think of the millions who have installed and used the OSs for years before you believe everything you read.
When you do an full OS upgrade you must have a full fresh backup. Those horror stories are written by people who broke this number one rule!

MacBookPro3,1
Maximum OSLatest release of OS X

but I would make sure it has a min of 4Gig RAM

maybe they wouldn't be safe to install
The new OS are far safer.

Reaction score
Thanks, yes, I will consider upgrading to Mavericks now. I did a full time machine backup to an external hard drive, and have 4GB RAM. Any other opinions?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I have read many horror stories in reviews for each of these new operating systems, and maybe they wouldn't be safe to install for my older macbook pro.

There are always compatibility issues with 3rd party software not always being upgraded in line with any new Mac OS X release … I rarely jump at an update in the early days …. Mavericks is now at 10.9.1, with each increment offering various improvements & bug-fixes

Reaction score
I upgraded and there were no problems. The Mavericks runs smoothly and my computer even seems to run faster, thanks.

Ask a Question