2007 MacBook Pro won't boot up

Reaction score
I was working on my 2007 MacBook Pro and blue and gray bars started scrolling down the screen and I lost the ability to use the trackpad and keyboard. I held the power button down to turn off the computer and it shut down. When I try to start it up, it now freezes on the white screen with the apple and the little circle. There are gray and blue pixillated bars inside the apple and the bars of the circle (which are normally gray). Not sure how to troubleshoot on my own, but if possible I'd like to figure out what's wrong with it before I take it to Apple for diagnosis. I just spent $350 to replace the topcase on this computer last month, I'm not excited about throwing more money at it and am debating whether to repair it or just throw in the towel on this one...

I can bring up the startup manager but nothing happens after I select the hard drive, and my external hard drive doesn't show up as an option, I can't bring up the Apple Hardware Test either.

Any suggestions (other than bring it to an Apple store)?

Reaction score
Thanks for the response - I just tried resetting the NVRAM and unfortunately after the second startup tone the computer still freezes in the same spot, although I think the blue and gray bars inside the apple are now in a different configuration...

Reaction score
Ok are you able to boot into safe mode
1)Turn Mac off
2)Press the power button.
3)Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
4)Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
5)During startup in Mac OS X v10.4 through Mac OS X v10.6.8, you will see "Safe Boot" on the login window, which appears even if you normally log in automatically. During startup in Mac OS X v10.2 through v10.3.9, you will see "Safe Boot" on the Mac OS X startup screen.

Reaction score
Yes! I couldn't get it to boot into safe mode earlier, but it worked this time! So...now it's working in safe mode, what's my next step?

Reaction score
OK os if the MBP runs in Safe Mode then I personally feel that there may be a problem with software or a driver when it's booted to normal mode. As safe mode disables most drivers including sound.
Have you installed any new software lately?
Also try running the Apple Hardware Test to see if it finds anything. Here is a link.http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

OOPs just works with intel Macs sorry.

Reaction score
Just spoken to a friend and they suggested a clean install if you have the disks, or Genius bar at an Apple store. But they did agree re software or driver corruption.

Ask a Question