Macbook Keyboard not Registering

Reaction score
I was watching hulu and fell asleep and the show timed out. When I woke up this morning the computer was stuck in the timed out full screen hulu thing. I tried to press esc but it just wasn't working, I could not get out of that screen. So I restarted the computer and it rebooted up to the login screen. I went to type in my password and nothing. The cursor is blinking in the password box but I can't type anything and the track pad works fine. I can move the mouse around and even click on the "sleep", "restart", and "shutdown" options (and they work). But that is all I can do.

I can not go into any kind of system preferences because I am stuck at login. When I say the computer isn't registering the keyboard I mean it. I already tried to restart it in safe mode, and recovery mode, and all those different "modes". The keyboard it not registering, so I cannot fix it in anyway that uses the keys. Conveniently though the power on/off key works... so I can turn it on and off a million times. About 5 min ago suddenly the password box filled up with all the passwords I had tried to put it, but then i had to restart it again because it got stuck like that. And because I restarted it I am not back to where I started.

Is there anyway I can open up the computer and idk wiggle something around? I need it for my work and the nearest place to get it repaired is an hour away and doesn't have any appointments until next week.

Reaction score
What exact Mac model is it? And what Mac OS are you using on it?

How are you making posts here? If it's another Mac, what exact model is it, and what Mac OS are you running on it?

Reaction score
Its a 2017 macbook pro and it was updated to the most recent software update, but off the top of my head i cant remember what its called

Im using my husbands computer to post on here. This one is a macbook pro 2013 running osx yosemite

Reaction score
OK, thanks for that information. So to make sure I understand, your 2017 Macbook Pro came with Sierra installed, and you recently upgraded to High Sierra. Is that accurate? Also, was the keyboard functioning flawlessly before you upgraded to High Sierra? If it was, then it is not a "hardware" issue. And it seems real strange that this issue would arise after the upgrade to High Sierra (unless there is some third party product that is causing issues).

Also, is this your 2013 model:

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp691?locale=en_US

And, are you using any third party (ie, non-Apple) software on the machine? If you do, is all of compatible with High Sierra? This link can help you with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

Finally, what was your reason for upgrading to High Sierra? I understand the desire to always have the latest OS, but in reality, High Sierra (except for protection against the Spectre and Meltdown issues with Intel/AMD chips) does not offer much of an improvement over Sierra (I think Apple recently issued a Spectre and Meltdown "fix" for Sierra, but I'm not certain).

Ask a Question