My MacBook Air's keyboard is messed up!

Reaction score
My MacBook Air's built-in keyboard has been experiencing some problems for the past 5 months, but nothing has worked.

The following keys have been affected:
  • Both screen brightness keys (F1 & F2)
  • Decreasing and increasing volume keys (F11 & F12)
  • The right arrow key
Here some examples: When I increase the volume, the screen's brightness decreases at the same time. When I decrease the screen's brightness, the volume increases at the same time. When I push the increase brightness button, the following text appears: ````````````. Nothing wrong happens when I decrease the volume.

The right arrow key works fine, by itself. But when I try to use, say, right and up, it doesn't work. I can do left and up, left and down, up and down, but not any combination containing the right arrow key.

I've reseted my mac multiple times (hard reset etc.) set it to factory settings, set every keyboard and shortcut setting to default. Nothing works! I haven't dropped my mac or spilled anything on it. It was working perfectly fine before this issue. I don't know what could have caused it. Please don't tell me to visit Apple and have them check. I don't have any contracts or proof of warranties. I got my mac as a gift, from another country that's not the U.S.

Sorry if this sounds confusing, I'm trying to be as specific as possible.
Thanks.

Reaction score
I got my mac as a gift, from another country that's not the U.S.
That's the problem.
System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources need to be set to the country the Air was made for not your own country for those keys to work correctly.

Reaction score
That's the problem.
System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources need to be set to the country the Air was made for not your own country for those keys to work correctly.
It was set to the U.S. the whole time I had my mac. I set up the mac in the U.S, because I currently live there.

Ask a Question