Macbook Keyboard nonresponsive for long stretches

Reaction score
It took me a long time to complete this message. Every so often (at apparently random intervals) the keyboard on my 4-month old macbook (running Leopard) just stops responding for a while. I have installed all the software and firmware updates that apple has notified me of. Anyone else having this problem? anything I can do before taking it back to the store (where, I'm sure, it will work just fine while I'm there)

Thanks!

Reaction score
It took me a long time to complete this message. Every so often (at apparently random intervals) the keyboard on my 4-month old macbook (running Leopard) just stops responding for a while. I have installed all the software and firmware updates that apple has notified me of. Anyone else having this problem? anything I can do before taking it back to the store (where, I'm sure, it will work just fine while I'm there)

Thanks!
Hello,
Have you tried repairing permissions?

Reaction score
I don't know what that is

To repair permissions:

Open Disk Utility, located at /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
Select your startup disk on the left of the Disk Utility window
Select "First Aid" from the tabs if not already selected
Click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button

Reaction score
OK i tried this, but it said 'repairing disk permissions -- estimated time less than 1 minute" but it ran for several minutes without any change in the length of the 'status bar' until I finally told it to stop.

Reaction score
OK I got the permissions to repair, and the keyboard worked for a hot second but then stopped again for a while. It's still coming and going. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
OK I got the permissions to repair, and the keyboard worked for a hot second but then stopped again for a while. It's still coming and going. Any other ideas?

Make sure that you have all of the current updates by clicking on the Apple logo on the top left of your screen and then clicking on "Software Update". If that doesn't fix the problem try this:
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the third time.
5. Release the keys.

Ask a Question