Macbook issues with connecting to some wifi APs

Reaction score
After trying every solution possible to fix my 2017 macbook running Mojave that would not connect to some APs based on a "location" issue. So bad I bouught a new macbook with ventura. Same problem.
Finally, logging out of icloud and apple id - all my problems went away. Both macs will connect to any AP now. I wonder how many others are continuing with being logged into apple id and having these "location" based (whatever that means) issues and cannot access some APs???

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Not something I have encountered before personally. I do know Apple made a few changes with the macOS network services around the time of Mojave, but I don't think it would cause the issue you were experiencing.

Glad you're back up and running.

C

Reaction score
This sounds like an issue having to do with the keychain syncing in iCloud. I have had various WiFi issues that were resolved by turning off Keychain syncing.

The Keychain stores all of you WiFi settings and syncs the between your Macs. So if you make a chainge on 1 Mac it effects all the others.

If you sign back into iCloud and keep Keychain off, you should not have any further issues.

Reaction score
Just a thought, but when you're logged into iCloud, it could be that certain settings from your old MacBook got synced to your new one via iCloud Keychain, which might be causing the problem.

One way to troubleshoot this could be to keep iCloud signed in, but disable Keychain syncing. This way, the WiFi settings won't be synced across your devices, potentially solving the issue.

Here's an Apple Support article that explains more about iCloud Keychain and how it works, and how you can turn it off if needed.

Ask a Question