SOLVED MacBook Air 2015 Unable to update from Catalina

Reaction score
I have an MB Air 2015 but unable to update to Monterey ( still running Catalina) Do I still have to update
Initially to Big Sur ? or is the MacBook now to late

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

The MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) does support Monterey. Double-check your Model Identifier - if it is MacBookAir7,2 it does support macOS 12 Monterey.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory do I need to install Big S ? checking the model identifier it is MacBook Air 7.2
So the spec should support Monterey. Without having to download via system Preferences again
I will have todo that after tomorrow again; when Idid that today it failed

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't believe you would have to install Big Sur first. As always, make sure you have a Time Machine or other backup of your data.

Try downloading the Monterey installer from the App Store directly instead of from System Preferences > Software Update.

Let us know how it goes.

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory do I need to install Big S ? checking the model identifier it is MacBook Air 7.2
So the spec should support Monterey. Without having to download via system Preferences again
I will have todo that after tomorrow again; when Idid that today it failed
I would like to emphasize Cory’s point regarding the Time Machine backup. In fact, at least two will be better. Or to make restores faster, a clone (I’m partial to Carbon Copy Cloner) to an external drive will be great.

Your internal drive is probably HFS+ formatted since it came with Yosemite loaded, correct? HFS+ does not work well with Monterey, and the version of Disk Utility that comes with Catalina has problems. I recommend, after securing your backups, that you erase your internal drive from within Recovery and format it as APFS (default, no encryption), after which Recovery should offer to install the current version of macOS 12. You can subsequently migrate your existing data from your backup. Finally, you can turn on encryption from Systems Preferences (File Vault).

Reaction score
Thanks Cory & Tony I have been away all day and just back home; I will go your way Cory
And try the Apple store - don’t know how important all these OS updates are; I am happy
With Catrina I only use the Mac for emails Skype and other minor work

Ask a Question