Power issue w/ MacBook Air A1932 EMC 3184

Reaction score
hello. new member and first post. thanks for allowing me to become a member (admins). I acquired a late 2018 MacBook Air A1932 EMC 3184 with the previous owner acknowledging that "will not power on." Unfortunately that is all that is known to me at this point. Needless to say I accessed the logic board and detached completely from the MB to look for signs of water damage, i.e. corrosion, burnt/busted caps, resistors,etc. and I could not see anything obvious. So I reattatched the board and applied connections back and with the back cover still removed, plugged it in to the power and it still would not power on. I tried holding the power button/sensor for up to 60 seconds w/o power and before applying power as well as holding power whilst plugging in the power. Still no visual indication on the screen nor other things such as the fan spin up or the power on "chime." In this state, I looked the logic board over and noticed a single small flashing white led near the battery connection (I added images to this post - One is a out shot of the whole board with an arrow pointing to the LED and the Second is a close-up if the area where the LED is with arrow pointing to the location. The flashing doesn't appear to have a pattern - just on, off, on, off, on, off every second until I unplug the power adapter. If this is not the correct forum area, I ask the admin's to place it in the correct area. But my question is if anyone has any insight on what this flashing LED indicates. And, perhaps, provide opinions or references where I can continue my troubleshooting. Thanks in advance for any replies. Happy New Year!
20220102_103045.jpg
20220102_103312.jpg

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delayed response.

So, that is a MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018), correct? I am not familiar with that particular LED indicator and its function. If it stops when you disconnect the power adapter, then it may be:
  • Failing battery or battery connector
  • Failing/incorrect wattage power adapter - are you using an Apple 30W USB-C power adapter?
  • Failing logic board
C

Reaction score
@Cory Cooper ; Thanks for your reply...despite the timing! ;) You are correct in that this is the MB Air Retina, 13", Late-2018 model. As well as the light does stop AFTER disconnecting power adapter (which is the original OEM Apple 30W USB-C adapter. Since my original post I have been occassionally researching on how to troubleshoot the issue and came across Youtuber Louis Rossmann who appears to fix "dead" Apple logic boards. Though I cannot micro-solder, I did unhook the logic board completely and had it standalone with just theApple 30W USB-C adapter plugged in and I noticed the the entire logic board started to get warm and stayed that way until I disconnected the power. And the heat was not overly hot. It appeared to be the normal operating temperature. From what I gathered within that Mr. Rossmann video was that that is a GOOD sign...perhaps. But other than that, I'm still at a loss. I suppose I should try to see if I can hook up connections one at a time to see if/what happens. Not sure. Any other suggestions after hearing my new information? Thanks again. Have a good one, sir.

Ask a Question