I'm Having a few Issues with my Powerbook G4

Reaction score
I finally got a power supply for my powerbook (15 inch, titanium G4) yesterday (it was off from the middle of April until yesterday afternoon), and things seemed alright when I fired her up. Then I realized the date and time were set to 12/31/69, and changed that. I decided to let it charge for a while after changing the date and time, and closed my laptop. A few hours later, I came back, woke it up, but then it immediately went back to sleep mode. Every time I woke it up, it would go back about 10 seconds later. I powered it down, took out the charge cable and tried to turn it on. Nothing. When I plugged it back in, it turned on, but the clock and sleep issues were still present. That's when I looked up at the battery information. The inside of the battery was just showing an X, and when I clicked on the battery it claims no battery is present. Prior to getting a new power supply, everything worked perfectly. The RAM and logic board were updated almost a year ago, and I've had zero problems until now. I'm completely dumbfounded on what to do. Please help! I will post the specs below.
This is what the hardware profile says:
Model Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Model Identifier: PowerBook5,6
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Processor Speed: 1.5 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.1f3

Reaction score
Ok, so the sleep issue seems to be rectified, and the date/time issue only happens when the laptop can't find a wifi signal to connect with (I still don't know why it does that, as I lock the date and time page right after I reset it). The battery no longer shows an X, but that it is connected to the power supply. When I click on the battery, the first thing down on the list says, "battery is not charging," but it is clearly plugged in. I don't think the battery is bad, as it would hold charge for almost three hours before I got the new power supply. I've read that there was a recall on some G4 batteries, how do I know if mine is one that should have been recalled? Could that be the issue? Any help would be very appreciated.

Edit: The sleep thing decided to come back. I'm at a loss here as to what to do. So, I guess I just wait for one of you mac gurus to save my ass!

Ask a Question