DVD issue on Powerbook Lombard G3 400mhz Bronze

Reaction score
Cannot play DVD's on my 400mhz G3 Lombard BRONZE. Everything points to the fact that I should be able. When I insert DVD, it doesn't open. The icon just sits on the desktop. I went to System Prefs and chose my DVD application as Apple DVD player which is installed in my mac OS9 application folder.
I then get dialog box that says the app is not supported by Classic. This is driving me Macnuts! Anybody????

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
What version of the Mac OS are you running?

Did you verify the PowerBook indeed has the 2x DVD-ROm drive instead of the 24x CD-ROM?

Reaction score
Running OS 10.2.
Not sure DVD speed. Module is genuine Macintosh PowerBook G3 seriesDVD-ROM Module M5505

Reaction score
The problem is that it is an old 2x DVD drive, which can have compatibility issues with today's media and the drive will struggle to read it.

Additionally the lazer may be unable to read it properly, but as the icon appears on your desktop I doubt that is the issue.

Try downloading another DVD program that is compatible with your OS or updating your Apple DVD player if you can - it could be a case of software rendering issues.

How much RAM does your Mac have? Not enough RAM or adequate graphics will mean you will struggle rendering and playing a DVD.

Ask a Question