ibook g4 dvd boot issues HELP ME PLZ

Reaction score
hello, names dave, i am a mac veteran, i've had many macs including the original SE and an LC also imac battleship and an old power pc 8100 that i upgraded to g3. but this is not the problem.

i have an ibook g4 (the latest possible release)

Machine Name: iBook G4
Machine Model: PowerBook6,7
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.42 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 142 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.3f0
Serial Number: 4H6020PCSE6
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Version: 1.0

i am running system 10.4.11

heres my problem, i want to reinstall off my earlier original system 10.4.2 install dvds but i cant... i get blinking question mark system folder every time... its the ORIGINAL MAC disk that came with it brand new, Ive tried holding c, Ive tried flashing NVRAM and PRAM also Ive tried option and it wont read that way either,

heres the specs for my dvd drive

MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8124:

Firmware Revision: DB0D
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw
Media: No

anyone else had trouble with this drive? it reads the disc image no problem it just wolnt boot from cd EVER or any other source for that matter, ive tried my g-drive, ive tried the ipod method....NOTHING else will boot on my machine... PLEASE HELP
im usually prided in being able to solve all my friends and familys mac problems but i am at a loss this time

Reaction score
I am surprised that forcing to boot holding the C key is not working. That is the way to do it. Sorry, I don't have any other suggestion.

karazelle

Reaction score
Do you have access to another Mac and use the firewire method?
If you got multiple DVDs with your Mac you are using #1

It doesn't seem that the drive is a DVD or combo drive, just a CD-RW drive...? You mentioned you tried the original DVDs... ?

Reaction score
i can read dvds itsays there, ive tried the other mac /firewire method but the other mac was a g4 mac mini with a bunked dvd drive also

Ask a Question