DVD not playing on new iBook

Reaction score
A friend at work has just bought her first Mac, a 14" iBook

We've been going through various programmes today and have a problem playing DVD's

The error we get is "Supported Disc Not Available"

I seem to remember a similar problem on my own Mac a while ago and the solution was to run software update. I've updated all of the software updates (quite a few for a day old iBook) but still have the same problem.

Has Apple broken the DVD player again?

Regards

Mike

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

from memory my DVD player did something similar when new, I had to try a few different DVD's to get it to work. Once it was working it was fine !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Alright I have searched and searched the web and found a couple places talking about this but nothing in depth. I am having the same issue, and mine has just started within the last week. I have a IBoook G4 (12" if that Matters) running OX X 10.4.3. Recently I started to recieve this same message saying supported disc not available when trying to use DVD's (tired over 20, none of them are burnt all original). The drive sounds like it is spinning but the disc never appears as an Icon on the desktop and never opens the DVD progam as it used to. So i was curious and got a couple of CD's and tried them all and they load up immediately and run just fine. I have tried software updates and it tells me there are none available for my machine at this time. i have seen people talking about "permissions" yet I don't understand a lot past basic use of a Macintosh yet ( this is my first mac in about 10 years). At first I was worried it might be a hardware issue that something was physically broken but then upon finding out I could play CD's I was lost. So any help anyone could offer would be great. Thanks in advance.

Andy

Ric

Reaction score
Hi, give me two minutes and I'll give you a quick guide on how to "Repair Permissions"...

...this will hopefully fix the problem.

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
awesome...i know how to get to it..i know it is disk utility...but once i get there i don't really understand what to do..thank you

Ric

Reaction score
Have put a little Movie here

This shows you what to do...

You should always run a "Repair Permissions" before and after installing any Software...especially updates from Apple...(10.4.3 !)

Try it as the movie...but your are always best running it from the install DVD...

...boot up on the DVD, then go to Utilites-->Disk Utility (without running the Installer !!!!) Then Repair Permissions...

Hope this helps, time for zzzzzz's

regards

Ric

Ask a Question