Early 2011 MBP 8,3 17" Power Issues

Reaction score
I have the aforementioned macbook pro. And I am having some power issues. I use this computer for DJ and VJ applications. I can run as many audio applications as a want and push the computer to its limits that way with no problem. But when i start running any graphically intensive application (like Resolume Arena) or play any games (like StarCraft 2) My batterey indicator tell me the mac is unable to charge and batterey life slowly starts to decread. Has anyone expernaced this? is there a fix?

Reaction score
Check the cycle count a laptop that age may need a new battery. The replacement cycle count is 300.

Reaction score
Sorry to disagree with Kaveman, but your will be one of the built-in batteries with an expected life of at least 1000 charge cycles.
First thing I would double-check is your power supply: it's really important that you're using an 85W charger, not the 60W charger that works on the 13" models... if you've accidentally got the wrong charger, that would cause exactly the symptoms you're seeing - you've got two different graphics cards, and I think by the Early '11s they were auto-switching. Sounds like as soon as you put the graphics under load, it switches to the more powerful card, and your power input isn't keeping up to the demands of the card...

Reaction score
Don't be sorry, we all make mistakes and looking at our 17", I can see you are right. But... it is possible the battery on a laptop that age could have done its dash and need replacing.

Reaction score
Not a problem, Kaveman. Yes, it's possible the battery's had it, but I've learned that any time a 15" or 17" is unhappy with it's power, it's important to check that it's using the correct charger. Especially with the later 85W chargers, where there are very few visual clues.

Reaction score
Check the cycle count a laptop that age may need a new battery. The replacement cycle count is 300.
I don't think its anywhere near that lot. I'm about 450 right now.

Sorry to disagree with Kaveman, but your will be one of the built-in batteries with an expected life of at least 1000 charge cycles.
That sounds more right.

First thing I would double-check is your power supply: it's really important that you're using an 85W charger, not the 60W charger that works on the 13" models... if you've accidentally got the wrong charger, that would cause exactly the symptoms you're seeing - you've got two different graphics cards, and I think by the Early '11s they were auto-switching. Sounds like as soon as you put the graphics under load, it switches to the more powerful card, and your power input isn't keeping up to the demands of the card...

I have the correct power supply I actually have 2 85 watt power supplies I have the same issue with both.
I do have 2 graphics card. Intel4000 and ATI 6750 1GB. And I have an app let lets me know which card is in use. This only occurs when the ATI card is in use. Your last line is what I think is happening. which really sucks. Also to note this is not a stock MBP I do have an opt bay in it and I was worried that the 2nd hard drive is taking too much power.

I have tried things like shutting off bluetooth and wifi to save power. But still no luck.

Reaction score
I do have an opt bay in it and I was worried that the 2nd hard drive is taking too much power.
I think this will be it, the modern MacBooks are very finely balance, an optical drive is mostly off, or it suck your battery down. The second drive will be a constant draw and significantly shorten battery charge.

The fact that Apple has 2 graphics chips and shuts off the high performance chip when it can, shows just how near the edge battery drain is.

Reaction score
So I did some more testing and I don't believe my my Video card is the cause. I actually believe its a heat problem. When I get over 84C and I am driving the computer hard I can reliably get the issue to pop up agian.

Reaction score
If it's heat then its a hardware issue take it to an AppleCare Service Centre near you, see what they say...

Reaction score
Hi,

Just my thoughts, but reading this thread I tend to feel this could well be a heat issue.
Also to totally discount a faulty charger or lead maybe borrow a friends charger for the same model and test under the same scenarios.

Reaction score
Hi,

Tend to agree about the heat possibility.

Also to double check power supply borrow a friends and lead then test under the same scenario.

Ask a Question