SOLVED MacBook Air 13" Late 2010 - Right and Down Arrow Keys not working

Reaction score
Hi all

My son's laptop has suddenly lost the use of the right and down arrow keys.

I have done all I can think of - NVRAM/SMC / PRAM Reset, new installation of OS, safe mode ... nothing seems to work to bring them back.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Claus.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Those are the normal troubleshooting steps that I would suggest. The only others would be to startup from an external hard drive with macOS, or connect a USB keyboard and see if those keys work on it. If they do work on the external keyboard, but still not on the Mac's built-in, then it is a hardware issue caused by simple failure, or physical/liquid damage in that area.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Ok, I started the MacBook Air using a High Sierra installer and had the same problem. So its seems to be the keyboard for sure, will just replace it.

Many thanks for helping out!

Cheers,
Claus.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

NOTE: You'll actually need to replace the entire upper case, which includes the keyboard. It is a very involved repair, and other internal components can be easily damaged. It isn't normally a user-serviceable part.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory

Why do you suggest I need to replace the upper case? I was just going to replace the keyboard after removing everything. I've seen some videos on that, VERY involved, especially the seemingly 10'000 screws ... but a nice challenge.

Cheers,
C.

Ask a Question