Macbook 2008 SSD OS install... gone wrong!

Reaction score
So, I decided to upgrade my old macbook 2008 as, well, it had been struggling. I followed steps online to install a new IOS onto the SSD... and i've accidentally installed and OS so old, there is no App store, or anything to upgrade. When I try to use a bootable usb to upgrade it throws me out telling me it's not possible to upgrade to this OS.

I have a late 2012 Imac running MacOS Sierra, and I want to know how on earth I can wipe the SSD back to empty so I can run Sierra on this little macbook! There has to be a way... right? Is there a cable I can plug from the 2012 Imac to the macbook to remote wipe and upgrade? I'm stuck! and the macbook has been sitting in a draw for over a year now as i've been completely stumped! I like to think i'm quite tech savvy, but after exhausting every avenue i've seen on youtube and other forums.. i'm stuck. PLEASE HELP!

Many thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Can you take the SSD out of the MacBook, attach it to the iMac via a USB to SATA cable then erase, format and reinstall the OS?

Reaction score
Can you take the SSD out of the MacBook, attach it to the iMac via a USB to SATA cable then erase, format and reinstall the OS?

I could do, but that'd involve purchasing a SATA cable... is there a way to do this remotely? I.e Connecting my Imac to the Macbook and erasing the Hard drive from there?

Reaction score
I could do, but that'd involve purchasing a SATA cable... is there a way to do this remotely? I.e Connecting my Imac to the Macbook and erasing the Hard drive from there?

Unfortunately no, as your 2008 Macbook does not have a Firewire 800 port. If it did, along with a Thunderbolt-to-Firewire 800 adapter (costs $29.95) and a Firewire 800 cable (less than $10), you could connect the two machines, and boot the Macbook in Target Disk Mode.

By the way, according to this:

http://www.macworld.com/article/3121239/macs/which-macs-can-run-macos-sierra.html

your 2008 Macbook cannot run Sierra. Also, assuming your Macbook is an early 2008 model, the "highest" Mac OS it can run is Lion, OS 10.7.x. If it's a late 2008 model, it can support Mountain Lion, OS 10.8.x. This link discusses that:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4134863?tstart=0

Now, regarding the SSD inside the Macbook, what you can do is purchase a nice, slim Orico external enclosure, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Enclosure-Super-Speeed-External-2189U3/dp/B01LXY78V6

I have two of them for my two Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig SSDs, and they are great! Also, you might be able to get it a little cheaper (just do a google search for that model number, Orico 2189U3). Then, remove the SSD from the Macbook, install it inside that Orico enclosure, connect that enclosure, via the USB cable, to your iMac, and then you can "operate" on the SSD.

As for obtaining Lion or Mountain Lion, hopefully it is still in your "Purchases" tab on the App Store.

Last edited:

Ask a Question