MacBook 2007 A1181 usability / windows / catalina (sic!)

Reaction score
Hi there.

Last year I bought a MacBook A1181 from 2007 for text processing purposes. I am a long term windows user, just curious about MacOS and this complete different world of computer experience.

So here we go. The Safari didn't show youtube, and....almost nothing realy worked online. I was just able to play chess and do some notices.

So I tried 3 dayz....to get another operating system on this lovely black beauty. Without any success. Finally...I erased the boot partition and now I am lost.

I got an USB Stick 16GB, a windows computer next to it with 4G internet connection.

What's next? Can somebody please tell me, how to make this Apple Computer usable again with more than MacOS 10.7.5.?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

If you have a MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2007) or MacBook (13-inch, Late 2007), which are both model number A1181, the maximum version of OS X is 10.7.5 Lion. It would have originally come with 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard. The older versions of Safari will run into issues with some websites, due to their age and incompatibility with newer security versions of TLS and such.

If the hard drive is complately erased, including the Recovery Partition, then you will need to create a USB installer on a flash drive. I am not familiar with how to do that on a Windows PC, but if you have access to another Mac, you can use an application like DiskMaker X. There are several versions on their site, depending on what version the Mac you use is running and which version you want to create an installer for. You will also need to get a copy of the Lion installer, which can be difficult to acquire. If you have an Apple Store near you, they can reinstall Lion for you.

C

Ask a Question