Mac Pro won't reboot

Reaction score
Started with the color wheel beginning to spin during a DVD, and it wouldn't stop. I tried to reboot, but when it got to the gray apple with the gray pinwheel running for a while, a black window popped up telling me I had to restart my computer. Tried rebooting several ways (safe boot, etc.), and eventually used Disk Warrior, which ran and allowed me to save my files to an external drive. It said everything was OK, but the black window continued to pop up. Tried to run Disk Warrior again, but now, the gray pinwheel under the apple runs for a while, until the screen goes black and says, No Signal Found. On another forum, someone said it might be a bad memory chip, and that it's easy to replace. But I don't know how to order that.

Running Mac OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard

Reaction score
I have tried to boot with the snow leopard disk, but it gets as far as the gray apple with the spinning circle, stays spinning for a few minutes, then the screen goes black. I AM able to get to the point where I can open the disk drive, however.

I will try to re-insert the disk and follow the directions in your link, if possible.

Reaction score
I tried to install Snow Leopard by re-starting while holding the C key, but it wouldn't get past the gray apple screen with the spinning circle. It spun for a while, then the screen went black saying "No signal". At least I have been able to restart to the point where I can open the disk drive, so will re-insert Snow Leopard and try again tonight.

I have tried installing a new hard drive--which I purchased on Amazon--but it won't appear in the screen with whatever disk is in the drive (one method of booting, which I can't remember right now), and appears as a flashing folder with a big question mark on it (another method, also not remembered). I have tried searching for another hard drive, but no luck so far.

Besides, when I was first able to run Disk Warrior, it said the hard drive was fine.

Reaction score
Hi,

The question mark means the mac can not find the OS X, the black screen with no signal I have only seen when using an external monitor so am a little bemused.
Please give Mac model and year.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That machine is a Mac Pro or Mac Pro (8-core). The original OS was 10.4.7/10.4.9. We assume you have a retail Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 white disc with snow leopard picture on it?

Have you tried resetting the PRAM then booting holding the Option key down to select the Install DVD?

As for the new HD, you will have to format it after successfully booting into the Installer DVD using the Disk Utility app on the disc. After formatting, it will then show as a disk you can install OS X on.

C

Reaction score
I reinstalled my old HD and restarted holding "Option". This time my HD and the Snow Leopard Disk showed up. I double-clicked on Snow Leopard, and the gray apple appeared. The gray circle spun for a minute or two, then the black box showed up telling me I needed to restart my computer.

I tried to boot holding "R". The grey wheel under the apple spun for a minute or two, then the black box telling me I needed to restart my computer.

Then I restarted holding "C", and the same thing happened, only the screen went black and I got the blue strip saying "No Signal Found". I shut everything off and went to bed.

I still would like to know what "memory chip" means, and if I need to replace it, where do I find one? And how pricey are they?

Reaction score
Hi,
I reinstalled my old HD and restarted holding "Option". This time my HD and the Snow Leopard Disk showed up. I double-clicked on Snow Leopard, and the gray apple appeared.
1) Put SL disk in turn off Mac.
2) Restart Mac press and hold the c or option key while the computer starts up. The computer should start up using the Install media. ( as you found above).
3) Select a language, then press the right arrow key.
4) Click the Utilities menu, the choose Disk Utility.
5) Select a volume to erase (usually called Macintosh HD).
6) Click the Erase tab.
7) Click Erase... Important: This step will completely erase your hard drive.

If this still fails I would take to apple care and ask to investigate and give you a definitive answer, as could be many things not just RAM so could get expensive if you start replacing hardware items randomly.

Reaction score
No matter what I do, my Mac will not boot. So, I can't erase the HD. I've wanted to avoid going to tech, but always knew I might have to. We have an apple tech service at the University where I work, so that's where I'll go next. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Hi,

Think this is your best option, please keep us posted and let us know the techs results.

Ask a Question