Mac pro won't boost past chime

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro about 5 years old and recently moved from Guangzhou to Beijing, China. When I arrive I found that the computer would only chime and resort to a grey screen.

I brought it to a repair shop and they could find no problem with the hard drives. They suggested I reinstall.

I bought Snow Leopard and in booting the computer I can hear the disk spinning but I still get a grey screen with no apple logo

I am beginning to suspect my problem in is the visual card (which I had problems with before) but not in the computer itself. WHen I connect both montitors one remains black but the other is still grey. I imagine that somehow the visual card is resorting to a grey screen but if anyone had any suggestions I would welcome them

Sincerely,
Q

Reaction score
Problem fixed. I use the original install cds and installed on another hard drive. The main hard drive is bust.

I would like dearly to salvaged all my lost photos and music from the broken drive, but disk utility can't repair it. Any suggestions?

Ask a Question