Mac OX will not reboot type or log in

Reaction score
Hi. I am running El Capitan. I have tried to wipe the drive clean and re install the programm
I shut down and it will not boot up again nThe key board will not type. It works on another lap top.
I have tried the suggestedv P R A M a number of times.

The Apple logo comes on screen The white line stops short of the end

Please excuse my ignorance I am new to Apple products and would appreciate help to solve the problem Thanks in advance

Reaction score
First, how did you try and wipe the drive clean? If it's your internal drive, you can only do that with Disk Utility running externally (or via the hidden Recovery HD partition).

Secondly, have you been making backups? If not, then what you are doing is extremely risky.

Third, why do you want to erase the drive?

Fourth, if you must erase your internal drive (even if you don't care about not having a backup), you would need to boot to the hidden Recovery HD partition. This link explains how to do that, along with which version of the Mac OS you will get depending on which key combination you used:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

In your case (although I STRONGLY emphasize that without a backup, it is extremely risky), you would first select the 4th option on the screen that appears, Disk Utility. Using it, you would erase and format your internal drive. The format to use is Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and the Scheme would be GUID Partition Map.

Once that is done, you would choose the second option, Reinstall macOS. Be aware that the download of the applicable Mac OS and the installation will take some time.

By the way, what exact Mac model do you have?

Reaction score
First, how did you try and wipe the drive clean? If it's your internal drive, you can only do that with Disk Utility running externally (or via the hidden Recovery HD partition).

Secondly, have you been making backups? If not, then what you are doing is extremely risky.

Third, why do you want to erase the drive?

Fourth, if you must erase your internal drive (even if you don't care about not having a backup), you would need to boot to the hidden Recovery HD partition. This link explains how to do that, along with which version of the Mac OS you will get depending on which key combination you used:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

In your case (although I STRONGLY emphasize that without a backup, it is extremely risky), you would first select the 4th option on the screen that appears, Disk Utility. Using it, you would erase and format your internal drive. The format to use is Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and the Scheme would be GUID Partition Map.

Once that is done, you would choose the second option, Reinstall macOS. Be aware that the download of the applicable Mac OS and the installation will take some time.

By the way, what exact Mac model do you have?

Many thanks for your asisstance honeystone Thanks to you I have managed to fix the problem

Ask a Question