Mac froze, shows black screen upon reboot. Help?

Reaction score
I was on chrome with a few tabs open when suddenly, my mac froze. I held down the restart button after it was unresponsive. Waited a bit, then turned it back on. At first, it let me log in, but then lead me to a black screen, though the mac was on.

I tried logging into the guest account; same black, unresponsive screen. Then I googled what to do, and tried resetting the SMC. Now instead of being able to log in, it takes me from the grey apple screen straight to the unresponsive black screen.

I have a MacBook Pro, 15inch from late 2011. What should I do? Should I just take it to a repair shop? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes personally I would book a GB appointment at your nearest Apple store ASAP and let the techs diagnose the issue. Please post back results.

You could try this
Press power button for 10secs then try restart.
The 10secs is important.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I was able to get my laptop to turn on properly, but by holding command + R, getting to the Utility Disk screen, then restarting. But it has since frozen & needed to be restarted like this about three times, so I'll have my macbook checked out tonight and will definitely post back results!

Ask a Question