Mac antimalware

Reaction score
Hi there!
I have recently got this stuff called QuickMacFixer on my macOS. I have not installed it intentionally, I do not even remember to install it. I have found it is a kind of virus that fakes an antivirus. It speaks while macOS is loading, at first I thought the system was about to crash.
Now I see that macOS is vulnerable to such attacks, looking for any advice on real antimalware that I can try for free for a while. I would appreciate any suggestions!

Attachments

• QuickMacFixer-System-Status,w_1115.png
    QuickMacFixer-System-Status,w_1115.png
    282.7 KB · Views: 121
Reaction score
Thank you,

I will give it a try. I have basically removed the virus manually, but it gets restored. I guess my niece installed it again along the games or other freeware.

Reaction score

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 18.03.40.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 18.03.40.png
    504.9 KB · Views: 82
Reaction score
I let Malwarebytes run its scans and removals. It has reported 5 threats, none is a real trouble. I let it quarantine all the suspects, and what? QuickMacFixer is running its super quick and annoying scans...
Conclusion: Mawarebytes does not detect QuickMacFixer as malware, let it run. Neither it is able to prevent its downloads, so I am still looking for a real solution that would at least identify the running malware, let alone preventing it...

Attachments

• malware survives.png
    malware survives.png
    417.1 KB · Views: 92
Reaction score
Thank you! I have followed your link. You have basically suggested to google the keyword 'quickmacfixer'. Ok, I will try the first suggestion by Google, let's see if this works as a removal tool for quickmacfixer. Meanwhile, the malware has gained persistence on my macbook. I cannot rid of it manually, the system always says it is because it keeps running its process. Yes, i have launched Activity Monitor, but it does not expose the malware. I guess the malware uses a different name for its process...
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 18.42.34.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
So, the first suggestion by Google is... the official website of the annoying and fake mac antivirus. Very well, and browser does bot label it 'not secure' as in the case with many websites which are quite safe and offer no scam. I am definitely not gonna download the scamware again. I guess MalwareBytes fails to detect it because quick mac fixer is not yet officially recognized as a threat, its website functions and the contacts are valid.
The second suggestion is a mac security website. It looks like and official mac website, but i am not sure. It's rather not as it offers antivirus called ComboCleaner. I have read Apple discussion on this product https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8440746, there are some safety concerns, but they are quite obscure.
So, macsecurity.net describes quick mac fixer and suggests combo cleaner to remove the threat. Well, I must admit Combo Cleaner has spotted and deleted the malware. QuckMacFixer has remained in Applications, but the app cannot not be launched. I am adding the screens of detection results and the system notification.

I am now interested to see if the malware is not going to reinfect me, that is, to see if the suite works well as a prevention.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 21.53.03 (2).png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 21.53.03 (2).png
    452.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 17.45.19.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 17.45.19.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 109
Reaction score
So far, I am very happy with the protection, I have also upgraded to Big Sur, no compatibility issues observed. My only concern is that Mac Calendar displays its silly notifications...

Ask a Question