Macbook Pro Retina 13" Early 2015 making gnawing/chruncy noises

Reaction score
Hi. My gf's macbook pro (Retina 13" Early 2015 edition) has suddenly begone to make these awful gnawing/chrunchy noises from the upper right corner. It stops 0,5-1minute after closing the computer. I've tried to run a first aid test and it showed nothing wrong, i've tried taking out the fan and cleaning it. But after mounting it again it still does it.

The computer:
Macbook Pro
MacbookPro12,1
Intel Core 5
2,7GHz
1 processor
2 core
L2 buffer pr core 256 kb
L3 buffer 3mb
Memory 8GB
Boot ROM version 186.0.0.0.0
SMC version 2.28f7

I've posted a video on youtube, so you can hear the sound

Can it still be the fan, maybe it just needs to be changed, though it didn't look damaged or specially dirty, or is it maybe the HD? Maybe others have experienced the same and found a solution. All help is very welcome.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It does sound like the fan to me...probably the bearings. It wouldn't be the HD, since those came with flash storage (no moving parts). It makes sense the sound would stop after 30-60 secs after closing the lid, as there is a slight delay before it will fully go into sleep mode.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory. Yeah the HD makes sense. So can i try to take out the fan and turn on the computer to see if it is the fan?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

You could, but it isn't advisable to run it without the fan. The cooling is needed inherently, and you could actually damage internal components. Technically, it would be safer to just run it without the bottom case cover in place, as long as you don't lay it down flat on the bottom. Also, be very careful around the battery, as it can puncture, which can be very toxic. Make sure you don't touch any of the exposed components when it it running to prevent electrostatic discharge damage. Maybe open the display at a 45º angle and place the MBP on it's side, then power it on. You may be able to determine the location of the source of the sound that way.

C

Ask a Question