Mac Mail/ OS 10.11.6 stuck in outbox or very slow sending

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
this has just started happening and I've looked at various forums for an answer and tried several solutions like ditching parts withinh the Library etc but nothing seems to work to fix this. It was working ok one day and then not the next - no explanation and I'm told nothing changed at my web host who provide the email addresses I use (I have several from the same domain for various uses e.g (e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed)). They all suffer this issue.
I have to use Mac Mail as part of a Filemaker solution so please understand that using a 3rd party app is not workable for me hence why I would like to get the native mail app working properly again.
I've tried deleting the account then re-entering it - same issue.
Is there any way to install the mail app individually as it's a part of the OS install? (maybe this would work?)

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I doubt that it is the Mail application itself, it is more of a configuration/preferences file issue, i.e. server port configuration. These settings can get corrupted occasionally. Reinstalling the Mail application probably wouldn't solve the issue. You cannot delete and install only the Mail application.

First thing that comes to mind is how you deleted and re-added the Mail accounts. The correct process is to have the Mail application not running, and remove the account in  > System Preferences... > Internet Accounts. It doesn't normally work if you remove and re-install the account in the Mail application > Preferences > Accounts. There are more involved ways to delete all files/preferences related to the Mail application, but you would lose any email stored on your Mac for all accounts.

Another thing that can affect the Mail application are the Network settings, especially if you are using any form of VPN.

As always, it is strongly recommended to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory - I have taken note of your comments. I did finally get it up and running again - more by luck than judgement I suspect!
Here is what I think was causing my problem:
• I had to have the port set at a particular value as given by my provider.
• Each time I did this and closed the settings window I later found it was not saving the port but defaulting to some other value.
• I then found out I had to uncheck the 'Automatically detect and maintain account settings'

So for anyone else reading this make sure you have unchecked this in both the incoming settings and the outgoing settings (there are two of these to untick).
I do have a Time Machine backup - agreed: this is a very wise thing to do!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Ah yes, that would cause it not save. Thanks for posting your resolution.

Yes, always a good idea to have a backup - it's not a question of if, but when. ;)

Be well,

C

Ask a Question