Mac email crash?

Reaction score
Folx, When I tried to open my mail this morning I got this message: Mail Message Import. Then it read: "Mail needs to import your messages. This might take a few minutes. You won't e able ot use Mail until the import is finished. Click Continue to import your messages now, or click Cancel to import later."
When I do click "Continue," it begins to import 5.9 MILLION emails! Apple Support, which generously tried to help, even though I am using a late 2011 MacBookPro, with High Sierra, after scanning my screen, suggested that I trash emails from my G-Mail accounts. The problem with that is that there are not any where in the far distant neighborhood of 5 Million.
What do you suggest?
Thanx for considering.
Kurt

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Which version of the Mail application?
-How many email accounts are setup?
-Who are the email providers?

You can check Gmail directly from a web browser, which may show you emails that are archived and/or in the trash on their server. Personally, I have never seen anyone with millions of emails, so not sure why it would report that.

C

Reaction score
Thanx for responding Cory. There was some kind of corruption of the mail function. With help, I went to the library and took all of the mail our of there and put it in a folder on my desk top. Then when I opened Mail again, it downloaded the real messages (though it did drop some folders, which was curious, and I therefore did lose some saved posts).
Best,
Kurt

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

So, other than losing some mailboxes, you are back in business?

C

Reaction score
Yes ... with one issue: I discovered along the way in this problem, that I have misplaced the passwords for three of my seven gmail accounts (each of which has a very specific function). On my mac platform, I continue to get and send mail with those three, but I can't access them through GMail on any browser because I can't register the account without a password! Kafka.

Ask a Question