MAC 2008 2.8 XENON PROCESSORS SHUTTING DOWN SPORADICLY

Reaction score
I changed hard drives but it keeps happening.... reboots and then is ok for 15-20 min. then fan starts up high speed.....

Reaction score
First, what exact Mac OS are you using?

Secondly, how did you "prepare" the new hard drive for use in your machine?

Reaction score
Im using OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 I just updated a week ago to latest from 10.11.2 I didn't have any problems in the past with these hard drives..... all are effected Samsung SSD 840 series 250 gb and 2TB Seagate

Reaction score
I assume that is not a Fusion Drive setup. Strange, as I have a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD inside my Mac Mini, and two external, Seagate 1 TB, 7200 rpm drives, and I am not having any issues at all.

Have you been making backups to an external device? If so, you could launch Disk Utility from the hidden Recovery Partition on your "main" internal drive (ie, where the OS is). This link describes how to boot to that partition, and what it contains:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Also, it could help if you Repaired Permissions on the "boot" drive. The version of Disk Utility with El Capitan no longer has that feature, but you can download the excellent freeware program Onyx from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

(Make sure to get version 3.1.4). That venerable, well reviewed program has been around for ages, and is rock solid! I have been using it for so long that I depend upon it, and require its usage as part of my weekly disk cleanup/maintenance, and backup processing (other required tools are TechTool Pro, and SuperDuper!). Besides the Repair Permissions feature, Onyx has other, useful tasks. What would even be better, besides Onyx, is if you have a more advanced Disk Maintenance program, like Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro. I have both, but use TechTool Pro much more frequently. It is much easier to boot to its "isolated"state", for performing a number of tasks.

Those 3 products (Onyx, TechTool Pro, and SuperDuper!), plus additional efforts on my part, go a long, long way to keeping both of my Macs "lean and clean", with very, very few (if any) "headaches".

Reaction score
I assume that is not a Fusion Drive setup. Strange, as I have a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD inside my Mac Mini, and two external, Seagate 1 TB, 7200 rpm drives, and I am not having any issues at all.

Have you been making backups to an external device? If so, you could launch Disk Utility from the hidden Recovery Partition on your "main" internal drive (ie, where the OS is). This link describes how to boot to that partition, and what it contains:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Also, it could help if you Repaired Permissions on the "boot" drive. The version of Disk Utility with El Capitan no longer has that feature, but you can download the excellent freeware program Onyx from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

(Make sure to get version 3.1.4). That venerable, well reviewed program has been around for ages, and is rock solid! I have been using it for so long that I depend upon it, and require its usage as part of my weekly disk cleanup/maintenance, and backup processing (other required tools are TechTool Pro, and SuperDuper!). Besides the Repair Permissions feature, Onyx has other, useful tasks. What would even be better, besides Onyx, is if you have a more advanced Disk Maintenance program, like Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro. I have both, but use TechTool Pro much more frequently. It is much easier to boot to its "isolated"state", for performing a number of tasks.

Those 3 products (Onyx, TechTool Pro, and SuperDuper!), plus additional efforts on my part, go a long, long way to keeping both of my Macs "lean and clean", with very, very few (if any) "headaches".
Honestone.....Thank You ....will let you know what Happens......Kevin R.

Reaction score
Glad I could be of some assistance. Hope all of that helps. It certainly can't hurt.
STONE.........ALL GOOD....... Both hard drives working well last 20 hours....No Problems..... You are the Man...!! Thank You... Kevin R

Reaction score
STONE.........ALL GOOD....... Both hard drives working well last 20 hours....No Problems..... You are the Man...!! Thank You... Kevin R

Glad all is good, Kevin! Going forward, you should devise a plan for periodic disk cleanup and maintenance, and if necessary, repairs. And of course, backups are absolutely required! It would be wise to invest in some excellent third party software for such tasks.

Ask a Question