Can one connect defective drives to 2008 iMac for diagnostics?

Reaction score
Hi! I have 2 exterior back-up drives that were connected to my iMac 2008. I think they have both become defective virtually simultaneously. I have found that when I connect either one, or both of them to the iMac via USB &/or FireWire they tend to corrupt the Main Drive preventing a proper boot, and resulting in a corruption of the main (SATA SSD 960 GB Mercury Electra) drive. Is there a way I can connect them to run diagnostics and if possible repair them? They're both back-ups to my main drive. I have a number of Disc Repair Tools (Disc Warrior, TechTool Pro, & Disc Utility) but the computer won't boot with either of these exterior drives connected. Any suggestions? Thanks!

The SSD is near new, replacing an earlier SSD (under warranty) which ran well for several years. There is now a problem with the SSD which I am attributing to my 2 back-up drives. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Does the same thing happen when you boot your iMac without the drives connected, then connect either one of them? If that works, you could then run Disk Warrior (that is the best one of the 3 you mentioned) to check out the drive.

Also, if the problem still exists, maybe try another port on the iMac. If that makes no difference, maybe the connector on the external case is defective. Do you have a friend that has an external drive? If so, connect it to your iMac and see how it reacts. If that works, that would say that the connector on those drives is bad. If so, maybe purchase another external case, and install the drive inside it.

Reaction score
Does the same thing happen when you boot your iMac without the drives connected, then connect either one of them? If that works, you could then run Disk Warrior (that is the best one of the 3 you mentioned) to check out the drive.

Also, if the problem still exists, maybe try another port on the iMac. If that makes no difference, maybe the connector on the external case is defective. Do you have a friend that has an external drive? If so, connect it to your iMac and see how it reacts. If that works, that would say that the connector on those drives is bad. If so, maybe purchase another external case, and install the drive inside it.

The machine won't boot form these driver and they no longer show up when connected. The machine basically freezes with a white screen when either (or both) of the other two drives are connected. I must then disconnect them and HOPE it will still start up from the ON/OFF switch.

Reaction score

One of the external drives is a 3TB Buffalo USB Drive with 3 partitions. It makes no difference which port is connected, and the drive and cables are in near to new condition. The other drive is a MAXTOR 160GB drive with USB & Firewire capabilities. I typically connect this drive with Firewire so as to maintain some free USB ports in the iMac. I will try this exercise again using USB to connect the MAXTOR and see what happens. Thanks for the lead.

Can one use DiscWarrior to rebuild the Directory of a SATA SSD?

Reaction score
One of the external drives is a 3TB Buffalo USB Drive with 3 partitions. It makes no difference which port is connected, and the drive and cables are in near to new condition. The other drive is a MAXTOR 160GB drive with USB & Firewire capabilities. I typically connect this drive with Firewire so as to maintain some free USB ports in the iMac. I will try this exercise again using USB to connect the MAXTOR and see what happens. Thanks for the lead.

Can one use DiscWarrior to rebuild the Directory of a SATA SSD?
The machine won't boot form these driver and they no longer show up when connected. The machine basically freezes with a white screen when either (or both) of the other two drives are connected. I must then disconnect them and HOPE it will still start up from the ON/OFF switch.

The iMac will not start from the RESTART command at the Desk-top level. It must be rebooted with the ON/OFF switch on the back of the machine, even when the other two drives are not directly connected.

Reaction score
I still have to work up the nerve to connect the two ancillary back-up drives (one at a time) to the iMac, for fear of again bunging up my system. It's nice to have it working again, so I can get caught up in my work, but I do need to gain access to those other two drives if possible. Thanks for all your help!

Ask a Question