M1 MacBook Pro or Air?

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a M1 chip 2020 MacBook. I'm not really a 'power user' and just intend to use apps like Sky-Safari Pro (astronomy), Photoshop Elements and a few others such as VLC.

I'm pretty convinced 512 GB of memory should suffice for my needs. I already run an iMac.

Which would be the best out of the two? Has one got a definite advantage or disadvantage over the other?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I have a 2019 MacBook Pro so can't speak to the later ones. The Touch Bar is nice and I think the Pros have more USB-C ports than Airs but I haven't looked at an Air in 2 years so can't say for sure. Does the Apple web site give a comparison chart? If so, that might be useful.

I am not a power user either, at least on Macs, but I opted for the Pro because of the Touch Bar and the extra USB-C ports.

Reaction score
I have a 2019 MacBook Pro so can't speak to the later ones. The Touch Bar is nice and I think the Pros have more USB-C ports than Airs but I haven't looked at an Air in 2 years so can't say for sure. Does the Apple web site give a comparison chart? If so, that might be useful.

I am not a power user either, at least on Macs, but I opted for the Pro because of the Touch Bar and the extra USB-C ports.

OK thanks for the reply. There's a new Pro coming out soon apparently without the touch bar. I've been comparing specs on Air vs Pro. TBH the Air seems to be the best choice for me.

Reaction score
The Touch Bar is cool but not having it is not a deal breaker - I only got the pro because of the extra USB-C ports and the Touch Bar was an added bonus. Does the new Air have Touch ID as well? Maybe that was another reason I got the Pro - can't remember now...touchID is nice.

Reaction score
The Touch Bar is cool but not having it is not a deal breaker - I only got the pro because of the extra USB-C ports and the Touch Bar was an added bonus. Does the new Air have Touch ID as well? Maybe that was another reason I got the Pro - can't remember now...touchID is nice.

I think the new Air has Touch ID. Apparently the M1 chip has seriously transformed its performance. I bought a high spec Pro just before the pandemic but I had to return it due to the fact that it froze on start-up. I only recently got my money back from chain store I ordered it from. So I'm a bit reluctant to buy another Pro even though they're different now. I originally wanted an Air anyway but got seduced by a deal on a powerful Pro. The Air's still looking like the more viable, as I don't really need loads of memory or RAM. I run Photoshop Elements 2021 on an iMac. It should run fine on an Air.

Reaction score
Good to know! My wife's M1 iMac is very snappy. She's coming off a 2010 MacBook Pro though, so huge difference in responsiveness. She is also very impatient...

Ask a Question