Key combinations specific to Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
I have a new (old, but new to me) PowerMac G4 with OS 10.4.11 installed on it, and I have been trying to learn how to use it. (My previous experience is nearly all with Microsoft Windows.)

I just bought a manual designed for my situation (Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, by David Pogue). It's a very good manual, but it's written for Snow Leopard; seeing no better alternative, I bought it on the assumption that there would be no major differences. Alas, I find that a fairly large number of the keystroke combinations he mentions do not work for me...

Was Snow Leopard a big big improvement over Tiger?

The particular irritant at the moment is the fact that none of the ways he gives for removing a file from Trash have worked:

- Put Back command (but there is none to be found right-clicking the files' icon or in the gear-icon menu).

- Command+Delete (nothing happens)

- Drag it manually (this works, but I don't remember where the file came from so I don't know where to drag it; Get Info only tells me where it is now, namely in the Trash, which of course I knew already).

At first I thought maybe my keyboard doesn't work, but some commands do work (e.g., Command+W to close a window, Command+Up arrow to move to an enclosing window).

Could it be I just have a sick Mac? I got it for a great price... now maybe not so great a price after all?

Peyton

Reaction score
Hello,
If you plan on sticking with Tiger, you might want to consider getting some Tiger manuals, as there are differences between Tiger and Snow Leopard.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Snow Leopard and Tiger don't mix ;)

Was Snow Leopard a big big improvement over Tiger?

Yes and no ... it depends on the user. I stayed with Tiger for nearly 3 years until I upgraded to Snow Leopard. I was perfectly happy with Tiger and I'm glad I waited. I suggest you search through YouTube for videos on both Tiger & Leopard OS's.

Could it be I just have a sick Mac? I got it for a great price... now maybe not so great a price after all?

How could you consider your Mac to be sick because you purchased a Snow Leopard Manual when your Mac is running Tiger?

Just take your time, use the internet to gain knowledge about your Mac and Tiger OS and don't worry about the Snow Leopard features that don't work for you ... don't forget that as a new Mac OS version is released, there are those who are not happy because a feature that they particularly loved was not included in the new OS version ... just enjoy the new experience and feel free to ask absolutely any question/s you may have.

Ask a Question