jpegs export size

Reaction score
Hi i exported a file as a jpeg full size from aperture and it was 3.2MB, when I export that same file (but the master) and change to jpeg in photoshop the file is 8.2MB (these are canon 5Dm2 files 20MB original. why is there such a discrepency and why is aperture throwing away so much data. I have preferences in Aperture set to export Jpeg original size. any idea whats happening? thanks Chris:confused:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi chriso :)

Does the quote below help you with your querie?

This issue of size is not Aperture, per se. If you open one of your RAW files saved directly from the camera to a folder on your Mac, then open with Photoshop, change to Mode settings to be 16 bit vs 8 bit, then Save As a TIFF, you will see the same size increase.

Aperture by default is working in 16 bit color, and that alone will increase TIFFs or PSDs by a factor of two.

Photoshop needs the image file to be either TIFF or PSD to accomplish and then save most edits that require Photoshop, and that you can later re-edit. If your edit requires layers, then you can flatten the image before saving to not pass that increase back into Aperture storage.

Although you can save your edited image as a JPEG in PS, there is no facility to directly pass this back to the Aperture Library.

I find little reason to use Photoshop for editing, unless I need to work with layers, btw, especially since Aperture 3.

Reaction score
Okay my concern was that my original raw file coming out of my camera is being reduced down to a 2MB jpeg . When the same file when processed in Photoshop and saved as a JPEG (not a PSD) is 3-4x the size and much higher quality. I have aperture 3 set to export jpegs at original size but it doesn't seem to be doing that.
And yes I now do most of my editing in Aperture as well but there are still a number of good reasons to also use photoshop (layers and actions being two of them).

Ask a Question