IPod classic not syncing with iTunes on Windows 8.1

Reaction score
Hi,

My iPods have recently stopped syncing with iTunes and kept crashing. I have iTunes 12.9.6.3 and my laptop which I only use for storing iTunes is Windows 8.1 64 bit. Looking online I’ve seen various older articles about the clash between these and in principle reverting back to an earlier version of iTunes (poss 9) which may get things back to how they were.

I can follow procedures to do this if this works, but as there’s a few different articles with different approaches is there a general definitive way forward that I can follow so - if the going back a few iTunes versions is the way - I can do this without losing my library and personalised playlists and song ratings. I tried to back up my iTunes Library but it failed but I do have all my songs backed up. I’m wondering whether when doing the opposite of an update by going back a few versions if it slots in the same way, or it needs to be a complete uninstall, reinstall with say 9, and then starting from scratch with rebuilding my Library.

If I do need to install any older versions where is the safest place to do so?

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Reaction score
You're right in considering downgrading iTunes. Before you proceed, I recommend you backup your iTunes library again just to be safe.

Here are the steps to downgrade iTunes without losing your library:
  1. Uninstall iTunes 12 along with other related components like Apple Software Update, Apple Mobile Device Support, Bonjour, and Apple Application Support 32-bit and 64-bit.
  2. After uninstalling, reboot your computer.
  3. Download and install an older version of iTunes from a reliable source. Here is a link where you can download older versions of iTunes safely.
  4. Make sure you uncheck the "Automatically update iTunes and other Apple software" box during installation to avoid being updated back to iTunes 12.
  5. To stop the software from checking for updates automatically, go to Edit > Preferences > General and uncheck the "Check for new software updates automatically" box.
  6. If you encounter an error saying that "Library.itl" can’t be read because it was created with a newer version, simply delete the "Library.itl" file in your local music folder, and then relaunch iTunes. It will create its own version of the "Library.itl" file.
Remember, this method worked successfully for Windows 8.1, but experiences may vary. So, it's best to create a restore point before starting this process. Here's an article that talks about the whole process in more details.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Many thanks for this. I kept putting it off thinking I'd make it worse and also my wife was using this computer for exam marking so didn't want to mess up anything accidentally. But after a couple of goes it seems to have started syncing again. Fingers crossed.

Ask a Question