Bad connection with earphones with IPod Classic

Reaction score
I recently bought a newer pair of SONY better grade earphones. When I attempt to listen to music the signal seems to be erratic. Both channels seem to get staticky and intermittent. Time to time I have to position the earphone plug just so, so that I am able to hear both channels. All help appreciated!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds as if the headphone jack is slightly worn, and preventing a snug connection with the new headphone plug. A few things can cause that - wear and tear over time, foreign material (pocket lint/dirt) down in the headphone jack port preventing full insertion, etc.

I would check out the headphone jack port on the iPod itself, and try the Sony phones in another device to check its plug.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt reply. I honestly feel that the IPod has seen better days. Are they repairable or would I necessarily have to invest in another?
Thanks kindly for your help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

The iPod Classic is no longer supported for repairs by Apple. Third-party companies may be able to repair the headphone jack, but it is usually $50-75 at minimum. Probably not worth it due to its age.

I would probably just move into a newer model.

C

Reaction score
Thanks MUCH. I appreciate your input. The headphones work great, however the Ipod apparently is in need of repair. Can't see in putting out the big bucks for another classic. They seem to disfunction
periodically. I'll deal with it for the time being until I come into a windfall of green. Thanks again.

Ask a Question