iPhoto: outsourcing to network drive

Reaction score
On OSX latest on intel imac:

Question:
I have successfully moved my photos to a network drive.
I have the preference set to iphoto will not copy photos when accessing them.

I now want to do 2 things:
1. save all newly imported photos to my network drive. I cannot find a preference allowing me to change the save path. is this possible?

2. view all of my photos (net drive & local imac drive) in the iphotos library. How do I do this? Currently only shows me whats on my imac drive.
Do I drag & drop in all the photos (35GB) on my net drive while keeping the "do not copy" setting in place on advanced preferences?
I want to view all files, but obviously keep them resident on the network drive.

thank you for any help

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

This is what I do...

I tell iPhoto 'not' to import photos when plugging in your camera...

Then when your camera is plugged in...it displays as a hard drive icon.

Copy the files from the camera to your new master location...your network drive.

Then unmount the camera drive...open iPhoto and drag the new images from the Network drive to the iPhoto window...they will then import.

As for your number 2 question...it sound like you need to make sure you have a copy of all your images on your network drive...then empty iPhoto...get rid of the preference file etc...and then drag the folders on the Network drive back into iPhoto to re-catalogue it...

...if you see what I mean !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question