Iphoto (help with uploading pictures)

Reaction score
About a month ago, I started having problems uploading photos from my digital camera onto my Macbook Pro. I have a Canon ixus 50 and before all I had to do was plug it into the laptop and it did it automatically.

Now when I do this the photos start to download, get 3/4 of the way through and then Iphoto crashes. After that everytime I open Iphoto I am prompted that I have photos stored waiting to be added to the library, would I like to add then. If I click yes the same thing happens.

I tried to get round the problem by downloading the images to my desktop but it seems to insist that I use iphoto. Now to get any pictures off my camera I have to use a friends computer and burn to disk before adding to the Iphoto library. Which is a bit of a pain. I also would like to know how I delete the message, would you like to add photos to library that appears when I open Iphoto?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hello Sparkle and Welcome!

It sounds like it could be a bad permissions problem. Try this: Go to your Applications folder --> Utilities --> Open Disk Utility --> Make sure the first aid tab is selected --> Select your HD (typically called Macintosh HD) --> Click Repair Disk Permissions. Once that is done, restart your computer. Then try to upload the pictures again. Repairing disk permissions usually fixes these strange problems and software hiccups.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Cheerio
Searay

Reaction score
Hi Searay,
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I tried this and it still isn't working. Is there anyway I can change the settings so I don't have to use iphoto and can just download the photos straight to my laptop. Then when I've got them off the camera onto the desktop for instance I can then add them to iphoto? I just can't understand how my husbands camera will download photos directly but mine won't
Thanks

Reaction score
The Mac provides you another option: Image Capture. Look for it in your Applications or Utilities folders. It's installed with your OS system. Image Capture allows you full control of what to do when you download your camera photos.

Go to iPhoto > Preferences > General > and at the bottom of that window you'll see "Connecting camera opens" along with a pull-down menu. You can choose iPhoto, Image Capture or no application.

Ask a Question