IOS 17.1.1 not compatible with iTunes 12.8.3.1

Reaction score
To anyone considering upgrading to iOS17 running iTunes 12.8.3.1... unless you want to use iCloud to back up your phone and are okay with iTunes no longer recognizing your phone - do not do it!

Just finished chatting with Apple and they were pretty rude and obtuse. Despite the lack of warning and being able to update my phone via iTunes, once the update is done the phone is no longer recognized. Apple basically said there is no Apple approved fix and did not elaborate. Frustratingly, Apple Photos still works and recognizes the phone. They just don't care about loyal Mac users with older systems (High Sierra).

If anyone has a workaround I'd love to know. In the meantime I'm just using iCloud to back uup my phone contacts and Photos fro photos and videos.

Reaction score
Hi there,

If you run the MobileDeviceUpdater, it should fix your issue.

To do this, in the Finder under the Go menu select Go to Folder.
Type in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources
In the folder that opens locate MobileDeviceUpdater and run it.

Reaction score
Hi there,

If you run the MobileDeviceUpdater, it should fix your issue.

To do this, in the Finder under the Go menu select Go to Folder.
Type in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources
In the folder that opens locate MobileDeviceUpdater and run it.
Thank you, I tried this but that app will not open when I double click it?

Reaction score
When you double click on the MobileDeviceUpdater app it launches and runs in the background... After you run it, plug in your phone and iTunes should see it. If it doesn’t restart your Mac and then plug in your phone.

Reaction score
hi, this solution doesn't work with my old iMac 27" 2009 (el capitan), double-click on app, restart system, but nothing better...
apple communautie no answers, apple assistance no solution.....angry

Reaction score
Hi lool,

What iPhone do you have. If you have an iPhone xs through an iPhone 14 then you must be running El Capitain version 11.6 or a later version of macOS.

iPhone 15's require macOS 10.13 (High Sierra)

Reaction score
my iPhone is 13Pro, unable recognised since IOS17 update
iPhoto works and iPhone 13PRO appears on the left column, but for iTunes .....? nothing
El capitan 11.6 (maximum)
iTunes 12.8.2.3

before iOS update, usually, when i connect iPhone, iTunes APP open immediately, but now, nothing happens....:mad:

someone talk about possibility downgrade iPhone ? i don't know.

i have two problems
impossible to backup my iphone
impossible to import my MP3 ( i buy CD sometimes) in my phone

this situation is really embarrassing

my decision is now, to stop all new updates for my iPhone ...

Ask a Question