Can't download photos from iPhone X after upgrading to iOS 16.0.2

Reaction score
After performing an upgrade from iOS 15.7 to 16.0.2 I realized that the photos I took cannot be downloaded to my iMac (running on High Sierra 10.13.6) Photos library. I checked the image file format on my iPhone and turned it to Jpg, but still, it refused to download saying that the item (simple Jpg) may be in an unrecognizable format or the file may not contain valid data.
I even paid attention to that HDR images using HEIF/HEVC may cause a problem and avoid it, by using JPEG/H.264 format.
Since I take photos daily I am lost and seek a solution. Please, advise.
Choosing images to download: https://www.screencast.com/t/oM7k8IDc7Qp
Screenshot of the problem: https://www.screencast.com/t/z3ix1CeMVS

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I assume this is using the Mac in your System Specs - iMac (21.5-inch, 2011) running macOS 10.13.1 High Sierra? If so, maybe there is a newer photo format in iOS 16 that is not compatible with your older version of macOS and Photos?

Have you tried using the Image Capture application to import them to a folder on your Mac, then open them with Preview?

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory,
I've sent an image I took (Jpg) via email from my iPhone X to my iMac Mail, saving it to my Desktop, and dragging it to my PHOTOS gallery. It worked fine. In PHOTOS it behaves as all the old photos I took previously.

Reaction score
Cory, I've also tried to export some new images (shot with iPhone X iOS 16.0.2) via AirDrop to my iMac ( (21.5-inch, 2011) running macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra) but it seems that my iMac AirDrop doesn't work. It doesn't recognize any other device.

Reaction score
I have the same problem on both mine and my wife's imac's running OS 10.13. We called Apple tech support, and they were of no help. They had us reinstall the operating system, which did nothing.

Alex, your email work around is fine for a few pictures, but we have hundreds to import, which makes this impractical. I will keep trying to find a fix, and if you figure it out - let us know!

Reaction score
I assumed that I am not the only one who suffer from this bug.
I'd expect Apple to solve this issue with an update to iOS 16.0.2

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of now is to revert back to a previous iOS, until Apple (hopefully) fixes the bug.

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of now is to revert back to a previous iOS, until Apple (hopefully) fixes the bug.
That's a problem I'm afraid I'll fail to accomplish; Too complicated for me.

Reaction score
We don't use iCloud, but that may be a way to do it.

If we revert to a previous iOS, i'll let you know if it works and i'll write the details of how to do it.

Reaction score
I contacted Apple Support by phone this morning concerning my problem. Their reps. think that transporting my iPhone X's photos via iCloud will enable me to see them on my iMac PHOTOS Library immediately. Until then I have to free some 120 GB of space on my heavy loaded iMac. I'll update when it is actual.

Reaction score
Alex,
Let me know if iCloud works. We don't want to use it, but if it ends up being the best way we may do it too.

Reaction score
Alex,

My wife and I just got off the phone with Apple Tech Support. He said this issue “is not a bug” so it won’t be fixed (ugh!). He said it is a security issue between the phone and the iMac, involving the operating system on the iMac. He said we cannot revert to a previous operating system. If we use a different photo app other than Photos, it will not work because of the security issue. What will work is using iCloud, which means paying for storage and syncing the phone & computer so that all the photos show on both devices. But, this means changing how photos are stored and committing to iCloud. We prefer local storage on our iMacs, rather than in the cloud.

He said Photostream is a part of iCloud which when enabled can download just the most recent photos.

Using Air Drop is a way to send 1 photo at a time from the phone to the iMac.

Using a service like Drop Box would also work as it would bypass the security issue.

Next i’m going to look at if it is possible to transfer the photos to a thumb drive and then to the iMac?

Reaction score
I was unable to get Airdrop to work, but that may work well if it works for you. You may be able to select many photos to transfer at one time. the Apple tech guy said it would only send 1, but he wasn't sure, so you may be able to send a group.

Reaction score
Update:
I have learned from others that Apple is aware of the bug and that they have a fix for it planned for iOS 16.1 which is supposed to be out in a week or so. In the meantime, others are using easUS file transfer app (20 photo transfers a day for free version). Also, iMazing (50 transfers total for free version). If Airdrop works for you, that is a good option, though it does not work on my computer.

iCloud will work, but I suggest against it unless you are planning to commit to it long term as it will change the file structure of the photos, and they are stored online.

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed update, John,
I must admit that my first trial to export photos to my iMac was by transferring a bunch of images to my old iPhone 6 (iOS 12.5.6) via AirDrop and from there to my iMac via USB cable, but that worked only once. Your report drove me to check it again and to my great surprise, it worked for a single image and further on for a bunch of several images, Wierd.
If it doesn't work for you, John, try to change the photo format to JPEG/H.264 and avoid HEIF/HEVC; If it doesn't work avoid shooting in Live style (my favorite until the upgrade) and HDR. I don't have problems with that so far.

An hour later I tried to import some additional photos from my iPhone 6 via a USB cable but I could not see them on my iMac PHOTOS Library window, as if they don't exist. Mac wonders…

Last edited:
Reaction score
After taking a dozen photos this morning with my iPhone X (in HDR+Live styles), I tried to transfer them to my iMac via USB with the same popup message of the wrong format. I then transferred them to my iPhone 6 by AirDrop, connected the iPhone 6 to my iMac, and checked PHOTOS to see if they show (✓), selected the dozen new images …and miraculously they all pumped into my Photos Gallery :D

Reaction score
Thanks for the updates & tips!
My plan is to wait for the new iOS to hopefully fix the bug. If it doesn't come out soon, or doesn't fix the bug, then I will buy one of the file transfer apps - which worked fine using the very limited trial versions.

Reaction score
Thanks for the updates & tips!
My plan is to wait for the new iOS to hopefully fix the bug. If it doesn't come out soon, or doesn't fix the bug, then I will buy one of the file transfer apps - which worked fine using the very limited trial versions.
I agree and plan to wait for the iOS update, not to mention that my iPhone 6 serves as mediation for my new photos at the moment.

Ask a Question