Internet Surfing slow compared to PC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a problem on our mac which I hope someone will be able to point me in the right direction to resolve. We have a 2.0GHz macbook Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger

The internet has become very slow using safari, particularly https sites, sometimes even locking up compared to surfing the same sites on a windows XP PC.

We have a wireless network which I connect the company PC as well as our own macbook. For 6 months since we have had the mac, everything has worked fine, but recently we have noticed a significant slow down and hanging when on the internet using safari on the macbook. Surfing the same web pages on the PC is fine.

Have we picked up a virus or something?

Any help appreciated.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

Try downloading Firefox for the Mac and see if that helps...

I like using Safari but it does tend to have a few memory leaks...and slow down over time. Normally quitting and reopening can speed it up.

Now that Apple have re-ignited the browser wars by making a Windows version of Safari I am sure that it will get 'speeded up'.

You can download the new 'beta' version of Safari...that may help.

Have you also tried cleaning the Safari caches...doing a Safari reset ?

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric.

Thanks for your reply. Since posting this on the forum, I have found the following "fix" which looks promising:

Go to System Preferences-->Network-->Airport-->TCP/IP-->DNS Servers change this to 4.2.2.2

Then go to Applications-->Utilities-->Terminal and type in
Code:
lookupd -flushcache

I'll give this a try later.

Thanks again,
Del

Reaction score
The above did not work. I've emptied cache. Reset safari etc etc. Same problem.

So I downloaded and installed Safari 3beta which has done the trick...

Thanks Ric for the advice and link.

Del

Reaction score
Argh! Problem is back. Pages take an age to load on the mac (safari) compared to surfing on a PC (explorer). Mainly https pages or where a form is filled in e.g when logging in.

I've emptied the cache and reset safari, trashed preferences, trashed icons folder but it makes no difference.

Can anyone help please?

Ask a Question