Internet Connectity Issue

Reaction score
I'm running a Mac Pro (Early 09) on 10.10.5 and I have a semi-persistent internet connectivity issue. After scheduled resetting (overnight), the computer will return with no internet connection even though it is a wired connection and no changes have been made to the hardware, software, or how it connects in that time.

I've had to switch to a Wifi connection to make this post as my ethernet connection, on the same device, is continuing despite receiving an IP address.

At first the issue seemed related to this MacRumors Topic as I was receiving a similar self-assigned IP address as the OP: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-self-assigning-ip-address-cant-connect-to-wifi.1724892/

But even after receiving a corrected IP, the internet itself did not seem to be getting to any of my cloud apps in the top bar and was not allowing internet browsing. So it seemed to register as connected but allowed no activity that a connected computer would.

In the diagnostic, the ISP is left red as Failed, however, I am fully connected on Wifi so an ISP problem seems unlikely.

So what is causing this ethernet problem that doesn't register as a problem to

Reaction score
First, what is the scheduled resetting you are doing overnight? I've never done that for any of my Macs, including the ones with a direct, wired connection.

Secondly, while the ISP seems to be OK, have you tried following your ISP's instructions in terms to shutting down your router and modem, waiting the minimum amount of time they state, and then turning them back on (again, in the order they suggest)?

Reaction score
I have reset the modem per the instructions. In powering on another wired device (Xbox One), I noticed the same problem, once the device was switched to wireless mode, connectivity is fine. According the ATT, the orange lit indicates a 1Gbps connection however the computer and the device were not able to actually get any internet connection while wired for some unknown reason. On my computer, when switching on the DHCP on the wired connection, even while my computer is connected to Wifi, immediately disrupts the connection and puts it back in it's non-working state.

The reseting is just a clearing of cache and ram, I find doing it nightly will clear things that may continue running even after the program has been close like video editing software. Sometimes, during compressing and even after canceling and closing the program, the computer would continue to take away disk space as if it were running still running this process elsewhere. So I find the restart helps clear all that and start fresh the next day.

Reaction score
I use Comcast, and it there are issues, I need to reset both the modem (I have a special Telephony modem, as I have my landline phone service with Comcast also) and my router. You did not mention resetting the router. Also, for Comcast, I also need to shut down my computer first before shutting down the modem and router.

As for software that keeps on running, does that happen when you actually quit the program? Also, wonder if such software is "bad", in terms of still running and also taking away disk space unnecessarily. I know that some browsers used to not "give back" Ram when one quit the program, but that has got better.

Ask a Question