Ibook hard drive replacement problem, Poss system problem???

Reaction score
I pretty experienced installing internal hard drives in powerbooks & ibooks, but have run into a strange problem when I installed a WD 120GB ATA hard drive into an 800mhz G4 ibook 12".

The whole install of the hard drive went fine, I booted up via a OS X 10.4 disk and formated drive thats showed up via disk utilities. I then installed the 10.4 system like I normally would and all seemed to install fine, did a restart
and the ibook started up fine from the new WD HD and system seemed to be fine.

But once I had given this ibook back to my client the following day I had reports the HD was not showing up and when the ibook booted up it was coming up with the missing system folder icon. Even when booted up via the 10.4 system disk, the WD hard drive still did;t show up via disk utilties very strange.
But to make it even stranger on the next restart the ibook booted from the HD totally fine, I did another restart and again I get missing system folder icon flashing.

After alot of playing around, it seems the ibook only see's the new WD hard drive every other boot up. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? could it be defective hard drive? or the hard drive cable that connects the drive to the logic board?

Any help would be most helpful, I've yet to reopen up the ibook again to check connections.
Benn

UPDATE:
Right reopened ibook up and checked connections, all seemed to be fine.
Once all put back together, the ibook seemed fine was always reading the WD hard drive every restart. Thats was until I started up and with OS X 10.4 disk to do a disk check via disk utilities, everything checked out ok and no repairs were need I restarted and low and behold the ibook could;t find the system disk again and was displaying the flashing system folder icon.

So basically its doing the same thing before I reopened it again, ever other restart it will start up ok and system seems fine. But every 2nd restart the ibook just does;t see the hard drive and displays the missing system folder icon.

Strange thing is if I shut the ibook down normally and then power up, the ibook boots up fine everytime. It's only when I do a restart from the booted system I get the intermitten problem where it will start up every other restart.

Can anyone else shed any light on this????
B

Ask a Question