Changing Hard Drive in G4 iBook

Reaction score
Hi there,
Just bought new HD for my old G4 iBook. I got a Hitachi HTS541660J9AT00 6OGB ATA/IDE to replace the Hitachi HTS541210H9AT00 100GB ATA/IDE one that was broken.
However, when I tried to install my 10.3.9 disc onto it, it does not recognise the new HD as a Volume. Comes up with Error 36. I have tried partitioning the HD using Disc Utility but, although both partitions come up when I try to install, they both have red exclamation marks on them and it will still not install!
I have been told that the new HD is an ATA-133 and not an ATA-100 as the old HD was, which is why it will not install. But through further research I found that there is not much difference between ATA-133 & 100, just a bit faster, and they should be interchangable.

Help. Is my new ATA-133 Hard Drive useless for my 14" G4 iBook? But if not, how do I install 10.3.9 onto it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ricardo

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
AFAIK & I might be wrong but you would need to first boot from your Panther install disc and navigate to Disc Utilities in the menubar at one of the first couple of screens you go through and then format the entire disc.

Ask a Question