Upgraded iBook's hard disk, doesn't seem to be bootable

Reaction score
I just upgraded the hard disk in my iBook from the original 40GB one to a new Seagate 100GB. When I try to install OSX on the new disk, the icon for it has a red exclamation point and it tells me I can't install on it as I can't boot from it. I've tried reformatting the drive in disk utility but I still get the same. Anyone have some insight for me?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

What model iBook is it ?

What is the model number of the new drive ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
The iBook is a G4, the 933MHz model, and the disk is a Seagate Monumentus 5200.2 (100GB/5400RPM/8MB cache/ATA100). Should have mentioned that in my first post, sorry.

Thanks.

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...

Usual questions first...have you rechecked all the connections...nothing loose ?

Does disk Utility see the disk ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
I'm just checking the specs now...this is a SATA drive ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...

Usual questions first...have you rechecked all the connections...nothing loose ?

Does disk Utility see the disk ?

regards

Ric
Yes, I can see it in disk utility, format/partition it and so on. The OSX installer just won't let me install on it for some reason. All the connections seem to be fine from what I can tell.

Ric

Reaction score
Have you formatted it as HFS+ Journaled (Mac OS Extended) ?

regards

Ric

Ask a Question